Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: boring brown bitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    The first rule of Bland Club: You do not talk about Bland Club.
    Apologies for breaking the first rule.

I don't remember having a problem with Pride over the years - for me it seems to be a more recent thing. I was in a pub this summer and two of my mates said they thought that the recipe had changed as the beer was seemingly now slightly lighter in colour so maybe they are right. I really can't drink the stuff any more though for some reason it tastes better than average at https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubreviews/23595/. It certainly has more depth of flavour than Fuller's Swing Low which presumably relates to the reduced alcohol content.
    This once more refers back to the theory that some of these bland and boring beers are that way because they are not well handled. The fact that they can travel vast distances and end up on the bar the same day as delivered (see my review here) cannot be conducive to their being pleasant drinks.

Compare this with the attention to detail of a small brewery like the one mentioned in this review; though I'm pretty sure that Charlie, Mick and John would say that the beers I drank were all boring and brown, so I may have shot myself in the foot here.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    very simple, they are beers that trendy (mainly young) drinkers who suffer from neo-phillia dislike because they

1. are drunk mainly by old men
    2. are usually clear
    3. do not contain New World hops (or very many hops in some brews)
    4. are mainly long established from usually long established breweries (see neo-phillia)

easy
    Haven't been called trendy or young for a while.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Haven't been called trendy or young for a while.
    I did say mainly young, do you suffer from neo-philla? If so you are trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Compare this with the attention to detail of a small brewery like the one mentioned in this review; though I'm pretty sure that Charlie, Mick and John would say that the beers I drank were all boring and brown, so I may have shot myself in the foot here.
    Ugh.
    -W.C.Fields

This once more refers back to the theory that some of these bland and boring beers are that way because they are not well handled. The fact that they can travel vast distances and end up on the bar the same day as delivered (see my review here) cannot be conducive to their being pleasant drinks.

What happens in the supply chain can have a seriously detrimental effect on the beer, varying temperatures especially, which is why Pivovar (the owners of the Tap chain plus Pivni and the Market Cat in York) have invested in temperature controlled transport and storage. The large muck-miesters don't give a flying one about care during transport etc.

I did say mainly young, do you suffer from neo-philla? If so you are trendy.
    Hang on let me google that........................................
    Thankfully no.
    -W.C.Fields

What happens in the supply chain can have a seriously detrimental effect on the beer, varying temperatures especially, which is why Pivovar (the owners of the Tap chain plus Pivni and the Market Cat in York) have invested in temperature controlled transport and storage. The large muck-miesters don't give a flying one about care during transport etc.
    I had numerous rank pints in the heat of last summer and not just JDWs. I also found the beer too warm even in some regular haunts. I've seen beer being delivered by microbreweries and it's always been just a bog standard van.

This Space For Hire

Not even when 'brown' is substituted with 'bland'?
    That's a given.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Why? I am yet to divine what the rules are.

Would I be right in thinking that Pride joined the BBB list the other week by virtue of its change of ownership from a family concern to a multinational? I'm sure there are people who reckon it isn't the same already.
    Hi Nick the emphasis is on the Boring rather than brown or beers .None of the beers quoted are in the first category..This was and is a fun post not to be taken too seriously .cheers john

This Space For Hire

Apologies for breaking the first rule.

You said it-difficult to distinguish -a common trait with bbb,s