Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Michael Portillo

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've got a theory that all the train interior shots are done on the same train, maybe going up and down the same line on a carriage they've booked out. (The absence of screaming kids is one giveaway; and the horrible Manc that I came across last week who called me a dickhead just because he was sitting in the bicycle space, where I wanted to put my bike.) He's got the script for the whole series, so all he has to do is remember it's the "red jacket, blue trousers" for episode 1, "yellow jacket, green trousers" for 2, etc. Then they drive thje shole production crew to the appropriate station and film him walking along a platform in bright sunshine as a train pulls out. Again, the absence of screaming kids and that annoying cyclist (or the bloke calling him a dickhead) are a giveaway.

The other thing that annoys me (not just Michael Portillo) is when all non-fictional prpogrammes have this fictionalised narrative. I mean when they film at location A, then location B, then location C, then it's "meanwhile back at location A". When you know damn well they've only sent a film crew and reporter to location A one time and one time only. No one has gone "back" there. Now feature writers in the Guardian (and who knows, perhaps other newspapers too) are doing the same. Even if they've done telephone interviews, or just emailed a few friends, and friends of friends, there's always a "meanwhile back at location A". Give us a break!
    I suspect that the content is completely out of MP's hands., Your other comments are simply a reflection on the way TV programmes are edited today (on all channels). They start up with a "coming up" section which us repeated in any commercial breaks. This is all done to save money as it's basically repeat material within an original programme.

This Space For Hire

I've got a theory that all the train interior shots are done on the same train, maybe going up and down the same line on a carriage they've booked out.
    Depends whether you think it's an account of a train ride or a history of that railway. It's billed as the former but is really the latter.

This Space For Hire

I've got a theory that all the train interior shots are done on the same train, maybe going up and down the same line on a carriage they've booked out. (The absence of screaming kids is one giveaway; and the horrible Manc that I came across last week who called me a dickhead just because he was sitting in the bicycle space, where I wanted to put my bike.) He's got the script for the whole series, so all he has to do is remember it's the "red jacket, blue trousers" for episode 1, "yellow jacket, green trousers" for 2, etc. Then they drive thje shole production crew to the appropriate station and film him walking along a platform in bright sunshine as a train pulls out. Again, the absence of screaming kids and that annoying cyclist (or the bloke calling him a dickhead) are a giveaway.

The other thing that annoys me (not just Michael Portillo) is when all non-fictional prpogrammes have this fictionalised narrative. I mean when they film at location A, then location B, then location C, then it's "meanwhile back at location A". When you know damn well they've only sent a film crew and reporter to location A one time and one time only. No one has gone "back" there. Now feature writers in the Guardian (and who knows, perhaps other newspapers too) are doing the same. Even if they've done telephone interviews, or just emailed a few friends, and friends of friends, there's always a "meanwhile back at location A". Give us a break!
    Yes. The clothing does it for me - why does he insist on dressing like Rupert Bear's big sister?

TV is all made up - The Apprentice: apparently the 'boardroom' is a film studio at Shepperton or the like and the 'secretary' is an actress; when the phone 'rings', it's an archive track added later; she just says 'You may go in now' on cue. The taxi's departure scenes are all filmed on the same day - the taxi simply reverses and the next candidate gets in. And apparently Sugar fires the candidate after consultation with the producers. And does anyone possibly believe that he hasn't seen the contestants' business plans in advance? There's no way he's going to sack someone with a brilliant business plan. I doubt they spend any time in the Apprentice House either, except on the day before a task; how can they take time out from their jobs? And how on earth do they survive with just the contents of a tiny wheelie suitcase? I pack light and I fill one of these for just a weekend away.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I doubt they spend any time in the Apprentice House either, except on the day before a task; how can they take time out from their jobs? And how on earth do they survive with just the contents of a tiny wheelie suitcase? I pack light and I fill one of these for just a weekend away.
    There's an account here of what happens. They are away all the time and paid a fee meant to cover loss of earnings. The wheely thing is explained too.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011...he-apprentice/

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

TV is all made up - The Apprentice: apparently the 'boardroom' is a film studio at Shepperton or the like and the 'secretary' is an actress; when the phone 'rings', it's an archive track added later; she just says 'You may go in now' on cue. The taxi's departure scenes are all filmed on the same day - the taxi simply reverses and the next candidate gets in. And apparently Sugar fires the candidate after consultation with the producers. And does anyone possibly believe that he hasn't seen the contestants' business plans in advance? There's no way he's going to sack someone with a brilliant business plan. I doubt they spend any time in the Apprentice House either, except on the day before a task; how can they take time out from their jobs? And how on earth do they survive with just the contents of a tiny wheelie suitcase? I pack light and I fill one of these for just a weekend away.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    There's an account here of what happens. They are away all the time and paid a fee meant to cover loss of earnings. The wheely thing is explained too.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011...he-apprentice/

Ah the magic of television. It appears fortunate that I've never seen this programme, oddly I'm mainly with Will on the subject of the Idiot's Lantern; although I do sometimes like Mr Portaloos stuff on trains, less so his potted histories.