Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Portillo

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Default Michael Portillo

Am I, then, the only one here who watches Great British Railway Journeys and was startled, as well as pleasantly surprised, to see one of the group in conversation with Mr. P this evening?
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Am I, then, the only one here who watches Great British Railway Journeys and was startled, as well as pleasantly surprised, to see one of the group in conversation with Mr. P this evening?

Was that the one where he went to a Labour Club in Nelson where they could tell he was a Tory because he hadn't paid for his tea? I couldn't stand MP as a politician but he's won me over as a TV presenter with his appalling lack of taste in clothing and his willingness to take on anything even if it makes him look like a complete tit. I still don't always agree with him on the late Thursday politics show but at least I'm prepared to listen rather than just hurl the TV through the window.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Great to see our top Midlands reviewer on the Birmingham to Stoke edition having a good five minute chat with Mr. P
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-02-2019 at 03:54.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Of course, I'd hoped the conversation would end with Portillo saying, "Thanks, Soup. Now; where can I get a decent pint of MILD round here?".
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Soup soup soup!

This Space For Hire

Having never met him was he the one in the church in Great Wyrley/Landywood?

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Having never met him was he the one in the church in Great Wyrley/Landywood?
    Yes.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Was that the one where he went to a Labour Club in Nelson where they could tell he was a Tory because he hadn't paid for his tea? I couldn't stand MP as a politician but he's won me over as a TV presenter with his appalling lack of taste in clothing and his willingness to take on anything even if it makes him look like a complete tit. I still don't always agree with him on the late Thursday politics show but at least I'm prepared to listen rather than just hurl the TV through the window.
    I'm not sure if I trust his railway programmes. I saw an episode where he exited Machynlleth railway station then stayed the night at The George III Hotel . The next morning he left the pub and got back on the train at Machynlleth, despite it being an hour's journey - with a change - from Barmouth, the pub's closest station.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I'm not sure if I trust his railway programmes. I saw an episode where he exited Machynlleth railway station then stayed the night at The George III Hotel . The next morning he left the pub and got back on the train at Machynlleth, despite it being an hour's journey - with a change - from Barmouth, the pub's closest station.
    I didn't see that episode but wondered if that Hotel was mentioned by name as it's quite a famous place. Morfa Mawddach is actually the nearest station and is sited at the old junction of the Coast line and the one to Dolgellau and Bala. It was an important station then rather than the little used halt that seems to occasionally serve the odd walker. I've noticed on other episodes that the journey described isn't always consistent.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I didn't see that episode but wondered if that Hotel was mentioned by name as it's quite a famous place. Morfa Mawddach is actually the nearest station and is sited at the old junction of the Coast line and the one to Dolgellau and Bala. It was an important station then rather than the little used halt that seems to occasionally serve the odd walker. I've noticed on other episodes that the journey described isn't always consistent.
    Interesting. My mate lives directly opposite the pub over the estuary. Perhaps Morfa Mawddach is nearer but less convenient on the London via Birmingham route as my mate always picks me up from Barmouth. Beautiful location though, and a walk along the disused railway line (now footpath with signals) to Barmouth is excellent; so is the stunning view from the mountain of the pub which I took with my crummy iPhone 4.