Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Michael Portillo

  1. #11
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I'm not sure if I trust his railway programmes. I saw an episode where he exited Machynlleth railway station then stayed the night at The George III Hotel . The next morning he left the pub and got back on the train at Machynlleth, despite it being an hour's journey - with a change - from Barmouth, the pub's closest station.
    I expect the film crew had things like cars and vans and everyone stayed in the same hotel the whole time it took to make the show. They might well have had to do a train ride more than once if some dickhead ruined a shot by being being noisy or pushing past, as they do.

  2. #12
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Interesting. My mate lives directly opposite the pub over the estuary. Perhaps Morfa Mawddach is nearer but less convenient on the London via Birmingham route as my mate always picks me up from Barmouth. Beautiful location though, and a walk along the disused railway line (now footpath with signals) to Barmouth is excellent; so is the stunning view from the mountain of the pub which I took with my crummy iPhone 4.
    You would never call Morfa Mawddach "convenient" but if you were heading for Penmenpool on foot or by bicycle you would definitely go there. The four platforms and doube lines on both routes are long gone and there is now just a short platform with a crude hut on it, rather like Llanbedr further North where the hut disappeared in a storm some years ago!
    The station was originally known as Barmouth Junction.
    The Mawddach estuary is superb on the odd occasion when it stops raining.

  3. #13
    I'll stay on me own Gann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Sorry late to this one as I have been away on vacation but I too have met Mr Portillo, as he was my local MP and it wasn't a good experience.
    Along with Steve Norris he is one of the few people where I have been compelled to count my fingers after shaking his hand..

    In fact he pissed his constituents off so much that I am not ashamed to say I was one of the many who voted him out of Enfield North and as such put an end to his political career....

    And agree he has made a much better travel correspondent than he would have ever made a Prime Minister, which I firmly believe is something he should return to Enfield North and thank us for !!!
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

  4. #14
    Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Horndean, Hants
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Sorry late to this one as I have been away on vacation but I too have met Mr Portillo, as he was my local MP and it wasn't a good experience.
    Along with Steve Norris he is one of the few people where I have been compelled to count my fingers after shaking his hand..

    In fact he pissed his constituents off so much that I am not ashamed to say I was one of the many who voted him out of Enfield North and as such put an end to his political career....

    And agree he has made a much better travel correspondent than he would have ever made a Prime Minister, which I firmly believe is something he should return to Enfield North and thank us for !!!
    Thanks enough in the look on his face when result was declared
    I drink to make others more interesting

  5. #15
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Notting Hill
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Thanks enough in the look on his face when result was declared

    Indeed: '97, the look on Portaloo's face when he 'Twigged' that he'd lost - priceless.

  6. #16
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Thanks enough in the look on his face when result was declared

    It was the highlight of that election night! As far as I'm concerned he's redeemed himself with his railway programmes.

  7. #17
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    As far as I'm concerned he's redeemed himself with his railway programmes.
    I've only seen the one that was the subject of this thread, and all I can say is that it reminds me why I hardly ever watch TV.
    Come On You Hatters!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-08-2018, 10:00
  2. The Zythophile - What if Michael Jackson had never lived?
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-08-2017, 12:20
  3. Pete Brown's Beer Blog - When Michael met Stef and Martin
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-04-2016, 10:51
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-10-2010, 10:04
  5. Pencil & Spoon - Michael Jackson
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-07-2010, 07:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •