Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turtle Bay - should they be listed?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

This has been suggested to me more than once before at crawls. I guess the question is would it satisfy people? In theory it wouldn't be too difficult, but we would then have the problem of defining which places get the restaurant tag...
    OK how would you deal with this place?

Q went in one day and foud a pub he loved. I went in the next day and walked away from a restaurant.

If you're interested despite best efforts I haven't been in since. It's hours are very limited to food times, even at weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    What I enjoy most about visiting pubs (apart from the beer of course) is the infinite variety, from ancient stone-built country inns to high tech city bars, and from the exceptional to the execrable. I think it would be very wrong to exclude any category because they don't conform to an ideal, and there will always be grey areas around any definition wherever you try to draw the line.

I have no great problem with listing Turtle Bay-type establishments where people do genuinely go for a drink by choice (no accounting for taste). I would suggest that it is more useful to have questionable ones listed, with suitable comments so that you know how useful they are to the average drinker and can make your own decision about whether you wish to patronise them or not.
    Well said.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Just to be clear, I wasn't having a pop at you personally - I did wonder whether to say it was you in the original post, but thought that really would sound like I was having a go!
    No problems this end

That is why I was quick to "own up" as it were.

Just to set the record straight, I am no great lover of these bars (nor do I work for them)

I just like freedom of choice and variety and oppose dictatorship.

List the "pubs" and we can all decide if we want to visit them.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I have no great problem with listing Turtle Bay-type establishments where people do genuinely go for a drink by choice (no accounting for taste).
    Well yes, this actually helped my thinking.

My policy was always if you theoretically can go in and just have an alcoholic drink without needing to order food then it can be listed.

Now I'm thinking of chains that I've been in for just a drink. Turtle Bay, Chiquitos, Las Iguanas - in those I was able to go to a bar, order a drink without the need of waiting staff and drink it somewhere not set out for food. I wouldn't be able to do that in Frankie & Bennys or Cafe Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    OK how would you deal with this place?

Q went in one day and foud a pub he loved. I went in the next day and walked away from a restaurant.
    Interesting one, I notice on their Facebook page they list themselves as a restaurant. Maybe that would be a criteria for tagging, if the venue themselves think they're a restaurant that seems fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Agreed!

My policy was always if you theoretically can go in and just have an alcoholic drink without needing to order food then it can be listed.

Now I'm thinking of chains that I've been in for just a drink. Turtle Bay, Chiquitos, Las Iguanas - in those I was able to go to a bar, order a drink without the need of waiting staff and drink it somewhere not set out for food. I wouldn't be able to do that in Frankie & Bennys or Cafe Rouge.

Interesting one, I notice on their Facebook page they list themselves as a restaurant. Maybe that would be a criteria for tagging, if the venue themselves think they're a restaurant that seems fair enough.
    Not sure about Frankie & Bennys, but the few Cafe Rouges I’ve reviewed have all let customers in for just a drink without needing to buy a meal.

This Space For Hire

Possibly...but FB pages tend to be up to the people on the ground rather than corporate grown ups. Sometimes, I suspect, it's left to teenage offspring. FB tags are many and varied and based on US mores, and you see Yer Genuine Olde Worlde Pubbe tagged as something silly like Modern English Restaurant despite the food offering rarely diverging from a packet of Walker's.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 07-02-2019 at 08:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I guess we'll have this debate again in a year or two.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Cafe Rouge and Turtle Bay on the other hand are usually (always?) town centre bar/bistro/cafe/restaurant places, and I can't understand why they are on this site. Man the barricades!
    Having read the points made by other contributors to this debate, I have changed my mind and have voted to retain all such "pubs" on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    What he said.

I'm inclined to agree that there should be a way of distinguishing them from "proper" pubs though. If only someone could write a review...

Here's a thought. What about a generic review of the chain which could be applied to all the outlets listed? Saves all that travelling about the country doing one more Slug & Lettuce, etc. Just review the whole caboodle in one representative visit.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 06-02-2019 at 21:51.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

The Cafe Rouge's listed on here in my areas covered have never been a problem. I've not added any not listed due to the topic of this thread, or done them yet may get round to them one day but will keep on my own spread sheet. Turtle Bay fine a real ale drinker won't go near them but a ticker like me will as there is no issues to having drinks in them and as Blackthorn states they have pumps. Adding bottle only places is daft regardless of being real ale/craft. The internet and supermarkets fill this sector IMHO.

We are old enough to make your mind up of where to go and some CAMRA branches have them listed so if they do then an elitist bunch of real ale drinkers accept them as establishments for Tom, Dick and Harry to rock up to and get a drink.