Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turtle Bay - should they be listed?

Default Turtle Bay - should they be listed?

Simple question - a glut of Turtle Bays have been put in the queue to add to the site. Should they be added?

I have never been in one, but I certainly have never heard them being referred to as a drinking venue before.

I don't see the point in listing restaurants that happen to have a bar where, if you were weird (or mad) you could simply have a drink in (eg Miller & Carter, Cafe Rouge).

Thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Simple question - a glut of Turtle Bays have been put in the queue to add to the site. Should they be added?

I have never been in one, but I certainly have never heard them being referred to as a drinking venue before.

I don't see the point in listing restaurants that happen to have a bar where, if you were weird (or mad) you could simply have a drink in (eg Miller & Carter, Cafe Rouge).

Thoughts.
    Miller & Carter tend to be out of town roadside pubs that have been converted to the steakhouse model, and as I understand it they do still function as pubs rather than restaurants, though I'm happy to be corrected. (As a vegetarian, I have litlle inclination to go in to find out for myself.) As such, are they not already listed on the site, so it's a matter of whether the conversion to M&C justifies changing their status to "closed"? I would say not, on the whole, but I wouldn't man the barricades if a contrary view became apparent.

Cafe Rouge and Turtle Bay on the other hand are usually (always?) town centre bar/bistro/cafe/restaurant places, and I can't understand why they are on this site. Man the barricades!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post

Thoughts.
    No! Don't see why these and also drinking venues that double up as clubs are on the site. Can't see any of us ticking these off at 1am...
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Pretty much agree with what's been said, however I guess a line needs drawing. Where does the recent fad for pub themed restaurants stand in this? I mean particularly the rash of new builds from Marstons and Greene King usually called the Xxxx Farm or some such tosh, or indeed the Harvester evil that spawned them? Should we move from the Camra like thought that if you can go in and buy a drink without buying anything else then it's OK and go to the other extreme of "it must be wet led to qualify"?

Personally I go on gut feeling depending on what's being served and how welcome I am as a casual drinker.

Yes ,agree with the above thoughts, but upon drawing a line, there will always be a grey area somewhere.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I think they're a pile of crap as drinking establishments and I personally am not going to be approving them, although others may want to

However I have been in one in Manchester and there were people drinking cocktails and not eating and I could have had a Red Stripe if I'd have wanted one.

The same applies to all Café Rouge, Gusto, Frankie & Bennys, Chiquito and all the other crap the "photographers" want putting on the site so they can get another tick on their numbers.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 06-02-2019 at 12:13.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Frankie & Bennys is the really ridiculous one, how they could possibly be categorised as a 'pub' is beyond me!

As for Turtle Bay, they do stay open late with people out for drinks in my experience. I can just about tolerate listing places like that, or anywhere else you would not feel uncomfortable just ordering a beer.
    Last edited by Brainypool; 06-02-2019 at 11:15.

So glad I have opened up this debate again!!
    I am the one that has added the "glut" of Turtle Bays. 7 to be exact. I was adding a micropub somewhere and I noticed that the turtle bay close to it wasn't listed so I added it to the other 30 or so that are already on the site.
    I had a bit of spare time so I checked which other ones weren't listed and added them.
    Some of the Turtle bays already listed have reviews (by some of our regular users) so I didn't see a problem listing the others.
    Personally I have visited a couple as they qualify by my criteria as "pubs" If I can go in for a beer without having to pay or buy a meal. I am not the biggest fan but they have their place and suit some people.
    There are much worse places and the 2 I have been in are pleasant enough.
    If you don't want to go in you don't have to and if the photographers want to up their numbers let them!
    I see no reason they shouldn't be listed - then it is up to the individual.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    So glad I have opened up this debate again!!
    Yes I think we're all very grateful to you .

There's also the vexed question of poxy wine bars.

And don't get me started on crap photos, I sometimes think there's a few photographers competing to post the worst one possible not to mention the chap whose finger usually appears top left or the two with the filthy phone or camera lens.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Interesting debate this one - is it Pubs Galore or Pubs/Restaurants Galore
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan