Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle Bay - should they be listed?

Hybrid View

Default Turtle Bay - should they be listed?

Simple question - a glut of Turtle Bays have been put in the queue to add to the site. Should they be added?

I have never been in one, but I certainly have never heard them being referred to as a drinking venue before.

I don't see the point in listing restaurants that happen to have a bar where, if you were weird (or mad) you could simply have a drink in (eg Miller & Carter, Cafe Rouge).

Thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Simple question - a glut of Turtle Bays have been put in the queue to add to the site. Should they be added?

I have never been in one, but I certainly have never heard them being referred to as a drinking venue before.

I don't see the point in listing restaurants that happen to have a bar where, if you were weird (or mad) you could simply have a drink in (eg Miller & Carter, Cafe Rouge).

Thoughts.
    Miller & Carter tend to be out of town roadside pubs that have been converted to the steakhouse model, and as I understand it they do still function as pubs rather than restaurants, though I'm happy to be corrected. (As a vegetarian, I have litlle inclination to go in to find out for myself.) As such, are they not already listed on the site, so it's a matter of whether the conversion to M&C justifies changing their status to "closed"? I would say not, on the whole, but I wouldn't man the barricades if a contrary view became apparent.

Cafe Rouge and Turtle Bay on the other hand are usually (always?) town centre bar/bistro/cafe/restaurant places, and I can't understand why they are on this site. Man the barricades!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Cafe Rouge and Turtle Bay on the other hand are usually (always?) town centre bar/bistro/cafe/restaurant places, and I can't understand why they are on this site. Man the barricades!
    Having read the points made by other contributors to this debate, I have changed my mind and have voted to retain all such "pubs" on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    List the "pubs" and we can all decide if we want to visit them.
    What he said.

I'm inclined to agree that there should be a way of distinguishing them from "proper" pubs though. If only someone could write a review...

Here's a thought. What about a generic review of the chain which could be applied to all the outlets listed? Saves all that travelling about the country doing one more Slug & Lettuce, etc. Just review the whole caboodle in one representative visit.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 06-02-2019 at 22:51.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

The Cafe Rouge's listed on here in my areas covered have never been a problem. I've not added any not listed due to the topic of this thread, or done them yet may get round to them one day but will keep on my own spread sheet. Turtle Bay fine a real ale drinker won't go near them but a ticker like me will as there is no issues to having drinks in them and as Blackthorn states they have pumps. Adding bottle only places is daft regardless of being real ale/craft. The internet and supermarkets fill this sector IMHO.

We are old enough to make your mind up of where to go and some CAMRA branches have them listed so if they do then an elitist bunch of real ale drinkers accept them as establishments for Tom, Dick and Harry to rock up to and get a drink.

Common sense has prevailed and the now legendary "Turtles" are approved!

Just remember that you don't have to go in them if you don't want to

On a side note I have never been in a Café Rouge but I might now just to see if they really are as bad as everyone seems to think!
    Last edited by Delboy20; 07-02-2019 at 21:51.

I am a salmon !!

On a side note I have never been in a Café Rouge but I might now just to see if they really are as bad as everyone seems to think!
    Don't get your hopes up (but do leave a review)!

I have never been in a Café Rouge but I might now just to see if they really are as bad as everyone seems to think!
    Good luck!

Don't forget to leave a note for the rescue team, in case you're not back within 24 hours.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post

Thoughts.
    No! Don't see why these and also drinking venues that double up as clubs are on the site. Can't see any of us ticking these off at 1am...
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Pretty much agree with what's been said, however I guess a line needs drawing. Where does the recent fad for pub themed restaurants stand in this? I mean particularly the rash of new builds from Marstons and Greene King usually called the Xxxx Farm or some such tosh, or indeed the Harvester evil that spawned them? Should we move from the Camra like thought that if you can go in and buy a drink without buying anything else then it's OK and go to the other extreme of "it must be wet led to qualify"?

Personally I go on gut feeling depending on what's being served and how welcome I am as a casual drinker.

Yes ,agree with the above thoughts, but upon drawing a line, there will always be a grey area somewhere.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields