Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derby Beer Festival - anybody going?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

The thread has prompted action!
    I am now the proud holder of two (mega) rail tickets, London-Derby rtn, total princely sum £12.50 (inc booking fee), allowing me & a pal 8hrs 35mins to tick off the beery delights of Derby's pubs on 08Sep. I'll look forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    The thread has prompted action!
    I am now the proud holder of two (mega) rail tickets, London-Derby rtn, total princely sum £12.50 (inc booking fee), allowing me & a pal 8hrs 35mins to tick off the beery delights of Derby's pubs on 08Sep. I'll look forward to that.
    When you get off the train and go to the Alex and the Brunswick you may never get into the city centre itself.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    When you get off the train and go to the Alex and the Brunswick you may never get into the city centre itself.
    Yes, I'm sort of aware that those institutions could prove problematic, but reckon a quickie on the way out, and a joker on the way back to station will have to suffice. The target list seems to have become 10 (from 8) so, even with only two jokers, the day will be a gallon & a half. Ah well, I should sleep all the way back to London.
    In no order yet; Alexandra, Brunswick, Falstaff, Flowerpot, Smithfield, Station Inn, Olde Dolphin, Old Silk Mill, Brewery Tap, Exeter Arms.

The Falstaff is quite a way out of town, it's a bus ride away. Might be worth dropping it if time constrained.

You can also add the newly reopened Greyhound another Derby Brewery outlet instead.

Whilst the Babington isn't the most impressive JDW the bank of 18 changing guests is.

In no order yet; Alexandra, Brunswick, Falstaff, Flowerpot, Smithfield, Station Inn, Olde Dolphin, Old Silk Mill, Brewery Tap, Exeter Arms.
    Remember the Alex' opens at 3pm Mon-Wed. That one caught out Soupy and me so we went from the Brunswick to the Old Silk Mill making the Alex' the final call before the railway station, which is almost opposite. We've also both done reviews of the crawl if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The Falstaff is quite a way out of town, it's a bus ride away. Might be worth dropping it if time constrained. You can also add the newly reopened Greyhound another Derby Brewery outlet instead.
    Whilst the Babington isn't the most impressive JDW the bank of 18 changing guests is.
    Nooooo... don't give me more to add - I'm already regretting booking the rtn at 20:01 instead of the 21:20, but reckoned I'd be pretty much out of the game by then anyway. Realised Falstaff was off track compared to others but, as a brewpub, has to trump even 18 pumps at Babington on this occasion. Most unlike me, but may have to succumb to a taxi because of time constraints.
    Sounds like it should've been an overnighter but, with those train ticket prices, cheaper to revisit another day.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Remember the Alex' opens at 3pm Mon-Wed. That one caught out Soupy and me so we went from the Brunswick to the Old Silk Mill making the Alex' the final call before the railway station, which is almost opposite. We've also both done reviews of the crawl if it helps.
    Thanks for that; have been meaning to check the first port of call as we need to get straight into proceedings at 11:30. I'll have a read of your tour reviews, cheers.

Most unlike me, but may have to succumb to a taxi because of time constraints.
    Well, I thought a taxi from Flowerpot to Falstaff would solve the problem, but it seems it would still be 20min walk to circle back to Station Inn, so doubts creeping in, but I'd be gutted to miss it.
    I note the mention of a dartboard at the Brunswick, anyone know of other boards on my list? Strictly comedy darts only, you understand...

Well, I thought a taxi from Flowerpot to Falstaff would solve the problem, but it seems it would still be 20min walk to circle back to Station Inn, so doubts creeping in, but I'd be gutted to miss it.
    I note the mention of a dartboard at the Brunswick, anyone know of other boards on my list? Strictly comedy darts only, you understand...
    The Alex has one. I think the Flowerpot does as well. The Station used to have but I don't remember seeing it when we called in last week.