Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Loony anti-alcohol nonsense

This Space For Hire

Default Loony anti-alcohol nonsense

Perhaps we should have a thread compiling loony anti-alcohol nonsense spouted by politicians and the medical profession.

I spotted this gem in the nether regions of the Observer on Sunday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...rt-ban-doctors

Even Alcohol Concern thinks she's OTT. However perhaps someone can remind me: in days of yore one had to watch which train one took on a Saturday not just to avoid football crowds but to avoid the drinks ban on the more popular match-day trains. Does the ban still exist - I seldom get long distance trains these days - or did she just have a bad time?

There is a time to be drunk and a time to be sober(ish). Drunks can be a nuisance in public places , we all know this. Trouble is they tar the rest of us who like to go peaceably about our business while pleasantly anesthetized to the modern world. Having a drink while watching the world go by is to my mind one of lifes pleasures. Be it through the window of moving transport or just watching passers by from a pub seat its what I want heaven to be.You can also throw in a few sultry females, they do not have have to be young or virgins. I am not so fussy these day.
    Two of the the most audible groups on anti drinking are Doctors and Chief Constables. The Church has given up the battle these days. But its always the same. If some one sees something they dont like then lets BAN IT. They then have , supposedly , power and control over it. What a myth that is. People still drink and drive. You still see people drinking in areas where it is forbidden. Even a complete alcohol ban will not work, there are far to many budding Al Capones amongst our young entrepreneurs.
    I often wonder exactly what do some of those bottles of water contain ? A brown paper bag with a bottle in it is not a style icon these days.

I have just seen Linkfields post and agree with the comment about being trapped on a train with drunks and nowhere to go . But the question should be asked, " Were they drunk before boarding ?" You are not allowed to board a plain drunk and I have seen bus drivers refuse to carry them . Why should trains be any different..?
    Last edited by arwkrite; 29-06-2010 at 11:09.

Banning it Don't seem too work in my Opinion Since Boris banned it in London its amazing how many People you see carrying coloured water Bottles on a Friday & Saturday Nights It may work in the centre of town where its Policed but outside its Impossible who's supposed too impose it.
    Plus the number of Drunks we deal with at work has Not gone down by any big number In My Opinion.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Sorry about the deleted post, it is our old friend taurus creating another new account, multiple accounts will be blocked where we find them.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Pete Brown covers this a lot in his blog. Here are all his posts tagged "Answering the neo-prohibitionists".

I don't follow it as well as I should, but always an enjoyable read.

"swearing, throwing beer cans, making constant noise and talking loudly about sexual behaviour, with families and children within earshot."

Substitute the beer cans for milkshake cups and it sounds like any bus ride around here taken at school chuck out time.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

*ignore them and they will go away*
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    "swearing, throwing beer cans, making constant noise and talking loudly about sexual behaviour, with families and children within earshot."

Substitute the beer cans for milkshake cups and it sounds like any bus ride around here taken at school chuck out time.
    Substitute the milkshake cups for beer cans and it sounds like any school kids round here at off-licence closing time.

It is not that bad really but I just wanted to post it.

I caught the bus back from Hereford yesterday and it was full of school kids. They spout as much rubbish sober as they do drunk. All Aboard the Grumpy Bus.