Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pubs outside the UK

Glass Half Full

Default Pubs outside the UK

It would be great to see the listings expand to cover pubs outside the UK. I have a chance of visiting Dublin in Ireland later in the year so it's a shame there are no PG listings past the Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    It would be great to see the listings expand to cover pubs outside the UK. I have a chance of visiting Dublin in Ireland later in the year so it's a shame there are no PG listings past the Northern Ireland
    The site is a fixed format of counties within one of four countries of the UK. That was the plan but it's not true as there are some pubs listed for the Isle Of Man which has been achieved by making it a County within a Country and not having it on the front page. It can be accessed by typing Isle Of Man into the search box.
    The Channel Islands don't appear to be on here at all.
    I would imagine that adding all the pubs for Eire would be a massive task, realistically beyond the scope of the site.
    I don't know why the Isle Of Man can't be directly accessed, maybe the data is incomplete.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

The subject of overseas pubs has been raised a few times over the years. As Aqualung has pointed out the practicalities of doing this are difficult, I think in part because the site is based on UK post codes. My advice if you want to review and recommend Dublin pubs is to to start a thread in the forums, maybe in the pub crawls section so that it is easily searchable for others looking for advice.

This is what I did to provide and overview of the Gibraltar pub scene a few years ago. You can find it here.

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...ight=gibraltar

From my own recollection of Dublin there's a good craft microbrewery on the river by O'Connell Bridge which is worth a visit. Here is their website

https://www.jwsweetman.ie/

Have a good trip
    Clive
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    This is what I did to provide and overview of the Gibraltar pub scene a few years ago. You can find it here.

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...ight=gibraltar
    That's what I intended to do for the Eire JDWs but I don't seem to have even got around to writing up the notes!

This Space For Hire

I've not even took any records of Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Germany, France, Corsica, Spain, Andorra, Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Greece, Malta, Turkey, Croatia, Ireland and pretty much anything left I've not mentioned in Europe. Add Egypt, America, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam and other places I've been then that has to be a fair total over the years. Sure Norway needs to be on the list as well despite being under the age to drink I recall I did.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 19-01-2019 at 22:30.

This Space For Hire

Ratebeer Places has a list of the best pubs and offies for craft beer in Dublin and short reviews on them.
    If you are happy with Guinness just google 20 best Dublin pubs and you will find the best traditional pubs.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Lost my last reply so trying again. We have done a lot of European and Baltic places due to cruising, and need to find bars close enough to the ports for Ray so do a bit of plotting and planning before we go.

We use Ratebeer, and also just google the place eg. Tromso craft bars and you get some good links to follow. Bring up a map and some are marked on it. Love Norway despite the cost of beers, and will be up there again in June and September and will be in the brewery bars in Tromso and Flam and any others we find before we go.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Lost my last reply so trying again. We have done a lot of European and Baltic places due to cruising, and need to find bars close enough to the ports for Ray so do a bit of plotting and planning before we go.

We use Ratebeer, and also just google the place eg. Tromso craft bars and you get some good links to follow. Bring up a map and some are marked on it. Love Norway despite the cost of beers, and will be up there again in June and September and will be in the brewery bars in Tromso and Flam and any others we find before we go.
    Yeah I have been using Ratebeer too on my Euro travels over the last coup-le of years, but it seems to be on the slide a bit - it missed off a 2018 opener in Athens I went to last week. Googling with the right keywords helps find these. Also there are a goodly number of people who live in or travel to these places who microblog the beer scene too, which is very useful.

Hope you and Ray are in good spirits BTW