Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Fantasy Pub Jukebox

  1. #21
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    With all due respect to one of our number,but if I found a pub juke box with Aqualung by Jethro Tull it would certainly get an airing.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jMPI_pUec
    The Duke of Wellington

    The Horse and Jockey
    Last edited by ETA; 14-01-2019 at 20:43.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

  2. #22
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,882

    Default

    Can I point out that London Calling is a famous Clash album and single but I know you had all twigged that one. Maybe lesser known is that Komakino was a track by the band Joy Division and I can't tell you anything more about it.
    Going back to the original thread, I liked a lot of Britpop stuff and really like Oasis and the Manics. I don't put money into Jukeboxes any more as I don't understand how they work! Two more recent music moments in pubs were in the E17 Rose & Crown where they played Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Chile and followed it with Zombie by the Cranberries and at a decent volume. The other moment was more recent at the Jolly Crispin in Upper Gornal where the music track included Nights In White Satin by the Moody Blues. It's the mellotron and flute solo that does it for me. I hadn't heard this one for years!
    Last edited by Aqualung; 14-01-2019 at 21:42.

  3. #23
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Can I point out that London Calling is a famous Clash album and single but I know you had all twigged that one. Maybe lesser known is that Komakino was a track by the band Joy Division
    Thanks for those. Could hardly have missed the first but was unaware of the second.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    ... at the Jolly Crispin in Upper Gornal where the music track included Nights In White Satin by the Moody Blues. It's the mellotron and flute solo that does it for me. I hadn't heard this one for years!
    I've mostly walked out of pubs where someone plays that song on the juke box - life is just too short, isn't it? Moody Blues come a close second to Frank Sinatra for "must avoid" as far as I'm concerned. "I managed to negotiate a temporary cessation in the assault on my ears by Frank Sinatra - apparently the juke box had been set to "easy listening" by head office diktat. I pointed out that to some of us there's nothing easy about listening to Old Blue Eyes - a few people have trouble eating Marmite, too"

    Now, that old review reminds me of my favourite tracks by Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones [Simple Twist of Fate and Gimme Shelter]. I first heard the latter on 31 December 1969, the first time I stayed up to see in the New Year.
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #24
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

    I've mostly walked out of pubs where someone plays that song on the juke box - life is just too short, isn't it? Moody Blues come a close second to Frank Sinatra for "must avoid" as far as I'm concerned. "I managed to negotiate a temporary cessation in the assault on my ears by Frank Sinatra - apparently the juke box had been set to "easy listening" by head office diktat. I pointed out that to some of us there's nothing easy about listening to Old Blue Eyes - a few people have trouble eating Marmite, too"
    The Moody Blues track is a break up song and Justin Hayward is wading up to his neck in self pity but I'm not one of the many who concentrate on the lyrics of a song rather than the great chords and instrumentation.
    Crooners like Sinatra are part of the cesspit that Easy Listening was built upon IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Now, that old review reminds me of my favourite tracks by Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones [Simple Twist of Fate and Gimme Shelter]. I first heard the latter on 31 December 1969, the first time I stayed up to see in the New Year.

    My favourite Dylan tracks are generally ones performed by others and would probably be topped by Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower.
    My favourite Stones track is easily Gimme Shelter.

  5. #25
    This is not an exit Komakino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Can I point out that London Calling is a famous Clash album and single but I know you had all twigged that one. Maybe lesser known is that Komakino was a track by the band Joy Division and I can't tell you anything more about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Thanks for those. Could hardly have missed the first but was unaware of the second.
    You are correct, Aqua my friend. I'm pretty sure I read in a Joy Division book that the title of the song was taken from a cinema the band either heard of, or visited in Poland (Koma Kino = Koma Cinema).

    Music in pubs certainly seems to be more eclectic these days. I remember visiting this pub local to me which had recently re-opened after a period of refurbishment and hearing NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" - the opening track from the album of the same name. As Track 2 began to play, the music was swiftly skipped to something a little more appropriate (check the album tracklisting to see my point).
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

  6. #26
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    You are correct, Aqua my friend. I'm pretty sure I read in a Joy Division book that the title of the song was taken from a cinema the band either heard of, or visited in Poland (Koma Kino = Koma Cinema).

    Music in pubs certainly seems to be more eclectic these days. I remember visiting this pub local to me which had recently re-opened after a period of refurbishment and hearing NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" - the opening track from the album of the same name. As Track 2 began to play, the music was swiftly skipped to something a little more appropriate (check the album tracklisting to see my point).

    I'd rather hear music selected by the punters (unless they are doing it to deliberately annoy others) rather than have to endure a load of football crap that a minority in the pubs is actually watching and the few that are watching walk out as soon as the match is over.

    I'm not very familiar with Joy Division and New Order apart from the controversy about their band names and the expert's opinion about Blue Monday being a classic. On a more positive note I really like the later True Faith which regularly gets aired on Rock Radio.

  7. #27
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Can I point out that London Calling is a famous Clash album !
    I've just been reminded that in a fit of geekiness arising from a beer-induced challenge I managed to work all the canonical Jethro Tull album titles into reviews on here in order during March and April 2017. 'A' and 'This Was' were easy but some of the others needed a bit of word-smithing. Not as magnificent as the Quinno challenge, but ti kept me amused for a while.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

  8. #28
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    ... in a fit of geekiness arising from a beer-induced challenge I managed to work all the canonical Jethro Tull album titles into reviews...
    I think we should be told which beer it was that induced this geeky fit, so that we can seek it out or avoid it (according to need).
    Come On You Hatters!

  9. #29
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think we should be told which beer it was that induced this geeky fit, so that we can seek it out or avoid it (according to need).
    Probably Triple fff Comfortably Numb, oh no. that was Pink Floyd.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  10. #30
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think we should be told which beer it was that induced this geeky fit, so that we can seek it out or avoid it (according to need).
    Probably fff's Dazed and Confused, which is my normal state of being these days.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Similar Threads

  1. Fantasy beer line-up
    By Quinno in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-01-2017, 22:47
  2. Jukebox Jury
    By Tris39 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2016, 13:58
  3. Oh Good Ale - Rebellious jukebox
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 23:39
  4. The Pub Curmudgeon - The Ultimate Curmudgeonly Jukebox
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 18:51
  5. Pencil & Spoon - My Pub Jukebox
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 09:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •