Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Pub Jukebox

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think we should be told which beer it was that induced this geeky fit, so that we can seek it out or avoid it (according to need).
    I'm going to guess it was this... https://www.electrocutas.co.uk/coll/horsesbeer2.jpg

Is anyone else old enough to remember Buffalo Springfield? I was in a NW pub this week and a very mixed soundtrack included "For What It's Worth" which I think was their only single release. The band line up included Steve Stills who wrote the single and went on to further fame with Crosby, Stills & Nash and Crosby, Stills Nash & Young. Probably the most famous one was Neil Young who had lengthy sole success as well as more electric stuff with Neil Young & Crazy Horse. He also joined forces with CSN to form CSNY.
    Now here's my Pop Quiz question. Which famous British pop band did Graham Nash leave to team up with Steve Stills and David Crosby.
    There's a special place in Hell reserved for anyone suspected of using a search engine to find the answer.
    Another great track from that era is "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Is anyone else old enough to remember Buffalo Springfield? I was in a NW pub this week and a very mixed soundtrack included "For What It's Worth" which I think was their only single release. The band line up included Steve Stills who wrote the single and went on to further fame with Crosby, Stills & Nash and Crosby, Stills Nash & Young. Probably the most famous one was Neil Young who had lengthy sole success as well as more electric stuff with Neil Young & Crazy Horse. He also joined forces with CSN to form CSNY.
    Now here's my Pop Quiz question. Which famous British pop band did Graham Nash leave to team up with Steve Stills and David Crosby.
    There's a special place in Hell reserved for anyone suspected of using a search engine to find the answer.
    Another great track from that era is "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane but that's another story.
    The Hollies, no search engine required.
    To me Neil Young is god like and still going strong.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFvZYTPQaw
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

The Hollies of course ! Who became a very different band after without Nash’s overpowering harmonies but had loads more hits. Some good, some dross.
    Strangely CSN on the other hand only managed one minor hit in the UK, Marrakesh Express. Can’t say i’m a fan but I did hear Our House in a pub the other week which is a pleasant ditty.

Despite being born after the 60s, I also knew this was The Hollies (without having to search!). I seem to recall "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" being re-released in the late 80s and making the Top 10, probably due to it being featured in a film at the time. I think The Righteous Brothers had a similar career renaissance around this time due to their version of "Unchained Melody" being re-released after being used in the pottery scene in the film Ghost.

In the early 90s, a cover version of "For What It's Worth" by a band called Oui 3 grazed the Top 40. After hearing it, my Dad introduced me to the original, which I much preferred.
    Last edited by Komakino; 10-02-2019 at 09:55.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Of course the Hollies is the right answer and I'm surprised so many people knew it!
    Re CSN singles, it was a time when putting out singles was regarded as an uncool thing to do, probably influenced by Led Zeppelin who famously refused to release UK singles until Whole Lotta Love made it to a single in 1997. The track was on Led Zeppelin II which came out in 1969.

This Space For Hire

I remember all those bands but with varying degrees of love.I have an Alexa connected to Amazon and was thinking about old records I wanted to play today so you have reminded me of the great Neil Young.Have to search if its on there .Listened to Dark Side of the Moon today.Coolio

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I remember all those bands but with varying degrees of love.I have an Alexa connected to Amazon and was thinking about old records I wanted to play today so you have reminded me of the great Neil Young.Have to search if its on there .Listened to Dark Side of the Moon today.Coolio
    I like Young's After The Goldrush, I prefer Wish You Were Here to Dark Side mainly because of an overkill reaction when it got played everywhere.

This Space For Hire

I like Young's After The Goldrush, I prefer Wish You Were Here to Dark Side mainly because of an overkill reaction when it got played everywhere.
    Bought DSOM album first week it was released and also had all previous Pink Floyd albums. First Saturday after me and my mates dropped some acid(blue microdot probably) put on the vinyl and joined them on the Dark Side of the Moon
    After the Goldrush is now playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The Hollies, no search engine required.
    What! Not even Just One Look?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas