Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Pub Jukebox

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The Stones are probably my all time favourite recording group, I did see them in the mid 80s but felt by then (at that time) they were a bit of a parody, best live group seen was the Who (3 times) live act seen most was Jethro Tull (8 times). Not seen any live music of not for many years now.
    I missed out on the Stones and Tull. I might have gone to the free Stones gig in Hyde Park only I went to the Blind Faith one shortly before which was so packed that I decided against the Stones.
    I agree about The Who, much better live than on record. I saw them twice at Hammersmith.
    I saw the Floyd about half a dozen times between October 1969 and 1973.
    The first gigs I went to were at the Starlight Ballroom in Greenford, Cream and the Jeff Beck band. Jeff Beck had a new virtually unknown vocalist called Rod Stewart!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The first gigs I went to were at the Starlight Ballroom in Greenford, Cream and the Jeff Beck band. Jeff Beck had a new virtually unknown vocalist called Rod Stewart!
    I've seen Floyd twice, 1973 Empire Pool and Earl's Court about 1993, most of my gigging was in Southampton, at the University, Top Rank or The Gaumont. We queued for days (in shifts) to get tickets for Yes at the Gaumont, also saw Hawkwind (with Stacia) there ironically the only gig I've been to where there were NO drugs available. another there was Split Enz supporting Genesis, Yes were supported by Gryphon which was odd. The weirdest gig was a selection of pieces by Stockhausen and Cage at the University. Most boring: Hatfield & the North at Guildford, not the original line-up which might explain things.

Don't need a Fantasy Pub Jukebox, just the one from Graduate (when it was The Bay Tree and a Gales tied house, when Gales Ales were worth drinking), I went to the college opposite and spent most lunchtimes in here on HSB and Ginsters Pasty, replaced by 5X in winter time and the occasional Prize Old Ale or a mad attempt to drink through the alphabet of Country Wines.

These are the most played from that jukebox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgEaRPaGqWM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4irXQhgMqg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADtnUC_ctNk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKNw477onU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPx-cL2t9TE

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    We queued for days (in shifts) to get tickets for Yes at the Gaumont.
    Yes and Free were regulars on the college circuit in their early days.
    I saw Yes at the original marquee where a group called Slade were second billing. Their hair was just growing after the skinhead haircuts they reluctantly went along with. I can never work out why T Rex are acceptable to Rock radio but Slade aren't. Slade did the Reading festival in the 1980s and how many T Rex tracks did Oasis cover?

The soundtrack to Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds is pretty apt at the moment!

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Yes and Free were regulars on the college circuit in their early days.
    I saw Yes at the original marquee where a group called Slade were second billing. Their hair was just growing after the skinhead haircuts they reluctantly went along with. I can never work out why T Rex are acceptable to Rock radio but Slade aren't. Slade did the Reading festival in the 1980s and how many T Rex tracks did Oasis cover?
    Slade were my first ever gig in 1976 at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park, past their heyday by then but they rocked.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

The Stones are probably my all time favourite recording group, I did see them in the mid 80s but felt by then (at that time) they were a bit of a parody, best live group seen was the Who (3 times) live act seen most was Jethro Tull (8 times). Not seen any live music of not for many years now.
    First gig was Madness at the Brighton Centre, '83. Saw the Stones at Wembley Stadium during Italia '90. One of our players scored and the crowd cheered - Jagger thanked the crowd thinking they were cheering him.

I missed out on the Stones and Tull. I might have gone to the free Stones gig in Hyde Park only I went to the Blind Faith one shortly before which was so packed that I decided against the Stones.
    I agree about The Who, much better live than on record. I saw them twice at Hammersmith.
    Saw Floyd in the autumn of '87 at Wembley Stadium - an awesome light show!

Slade were my first ever gig in 1976 at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park, past their heyday by then but they rocked.
    The Rainbow is now sadly some sort of Brazilian Pentecostal church.

I saw Hawkwind at the Rainbow! The bass guitarist with Slade was a classically trained musician and also played keyboards and the violin. T Rex were lirrle more than a wannabe rock star whose songs were derivatives of basic 1950s Rock 'N' Roll. Slade were far more complex even though they couldn't spell!

The best jukeboxes are the ones with the longest tracks on so you can get value for your quid. Once, on one of the old analogue ones, I managed to get;

New Order - Blue Monday (7.25)
    Stone Roses - I Am the Resurection (8.10)
    Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (13.20)
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody - (5.50)
    The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (album version) (8.30)

...on for my pound. With digital jukeboxes these days with 10,000+ tracks available, I'm sure I could better that quite easily. Though there's no way I'd put Sister Ray on, what a load of old shite that is.
    Last edited by Quinno; 01-04-2020 at 17:32.