Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Pub Jukebox

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The best jukeboxes are the ones with the longest tracks on so you can get value for your quid. Once, on one of the old analogue ones, I managed to get;

New Order - Blue Monday (7.25)
    Stone Roses - I Am the Resurection (8.10)
    Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (13.20)
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody - (5.50)
    The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (album version) (8.30)

...on for my pound. With digital jukeboxes these days with 10,000+ tracks available, I'm sure I could better that quite easily. Though there's no way I'd put Sister Ray on though, what a load of old shite that is.
    Wot no American Pie (long version)?

Default The Germans must have a word for getting satisfaction from small things...

When the village club still had a decent sound system to go with the jukebox, I always tried to get these on as the last two songs on a Friday evening:
    • Doors - "LA Woman" (great value for money to go with a final pint)
    • Bruce Hornsby and The Range - "The Way it is" (with the pointless trick being to get shown the door exactly on the final note)

This Space For Hire

Nor Guns and Roses November Rain. In my old local we'd put long songs on and complete obscure crap that nobody in their right mind would ever select.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    In my old local we'd put long songs on and complete obscure crap that nobody in their right mind would ever select.
    Got annoyed by a pub once and put on the Dead Kennedys - "Holiday on Cambodia", left quickly, never been back!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Wot no American Pie (long version)?
    OMG - there's a long version? I always try to get out of the pub before the first chorus.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I missed out on the Stones and Tull. I might have gone to the free Stones gig in Hyde Park only I went to the Blind Faith one shortly before which was so packed that I decided against the Stones.
    I agree about The Who, much better live than on record. I saw them twice at Hammersmith.
    I saw the Floyd about half a dozen times between October 1969 and 1973.
    The first gigs I went to were at the Starlight Ballroom in Greenford, Cream and the Jeff Beck band. Jeff Beck had a new virtually unknown vocalist called Rod Stewart!
    You're dead right about The Who. Back in '65 they had the Tuesday night residency at the Marquee, and I saw them there every week. Sometimes I saw them twice a week as they often also played the Ealing Club. Must have seen them somewhere between 50 - 100 times. Never bored of them. Every show they played Heat Wave, the Martha and the Vandellas classic, and (according to my memory) that's still one of the best live songs I've ever heard. The second best live group of the time (in my opinion) was The Birds, then featuring Ronnie Wood on lead guitar and Kim Gardner (later Ashton, Gardner and Dyke) on Bass. Kim Gardner was one of the musicians supporting Bo Diddley when I saw him at the 100 Club.

Does anyone else remember the classic London music clubs of the day - Marquee, 100 Club, Flamingo? The Flamingo featured some of the best unsung musicians of the day - Downliners sect, Jimmy James and the Vagabonds, Geno Washington and the Ramjam Band. I remember that entrance to the Marquee was 4 shillings for members. Not sure what that translates to in today's money, but still super value.

I did got to see the Stones in Hyde Park, but had to leave before the end as the party seven we had polished off was having its effects on our bladders. repaired to the Grenadier as it was off the beaten track then and the hordes in London didn't know it was there.

Those were the days.
    Last edited by Rex_Rattus; 01-04-2020 at 11:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Does anyone else remember the classic London music clubs of the day - Marquee, 100 Club, Flamingo?
    How's your hearing nowadays?
    I never went to it but there was Middle Earth. I did go to the Lyceum Sunday gigs and saw Led Zeppelin there in 1969. The entrance was £1.00 which was quite expensive then.

Edit: Birmingham famously had Mothers. I never went.

The 100 Club is still going strong - I've been a few times, most recently to see Gang of Four a couple of years back. I was due to go to a gig there a couple of weeks ago, but it turned out to be the first of many rearranged shows that I'm hoping I'll be able to make once we're allowed out again!

Real Ale Drinker

An old mate of mine used to insist on putting some Dylan nonsense called Desolation Row then follow it up with an awful Pink Floyd load of crap, usually Comfortably Numb. Thankfully, he's pissed off to Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    How's your hearing nowadays?
    Probably slightly better than Roger Daltrey's!