Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pubs gone but not forgotten

Brilliant!!!

I shall save that link for when I am old and shall wear purple.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Beggars belief why with that prospective footfall, a place would be closed, with the right management and foresight it looks a winner.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Cross Keys was a lovely traditional 'village' pub when I was a regular in the late '80s. Small, oak settles, an island bar with gantry, log fire and plenty of knick-knacks. It seems to have changed beyond all recognition even since the first review and apparently has a gallery along with a much larger interior; God knows where they got the extra space.
    Now look at it: https://www.thecrosskeyschelsea.co.uk/pub/

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    The Sandrock was indeed an excellent beer pub but haven't been for many years. According to local CAMRA the beer range has become less unusual. Will try and visit in the spring. The Bat & Ball also used to be good, if you could find it.
    I remember finding the Bat & Ball but little else other than a wide choice of beers!

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    The Little Gem

Where I had my first pints of, among other things, Old Peculiar, Youngs Winter Warmer, Salisbury Bishops Tipple (do we want another thread for ales gone but not forgotten?), and many others.

I keep hearing rumours that it will re-open now it's been sold, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I remember going to the Little Gem with my boss who lived in Maidstone.

I went to around a third of the Gales estate back in the day but don't recall Braishfield being one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Cross Keys was a lovely traditional 'village' pub when I was a regular in the late '80s. Small, oak settles, an island bar with gantry, log fire and plenty of knick-knacks. It seems to have changed beyond all recognition even since the first review and apparently has a gallery along with a much larger interior; God knows where they got the extra space.
    Now look at it: https://www.thecrosskeyschelsea.co.uk/pub/
    That one doesn't ring any bells at all for me. I've tended to go along with Elvis Costello's viewpoint when it comes to that part of London.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

I went to around a third of the Gales estate back in the day but don't recall Braishfield being one.
    Probably the furthest West of the estate and not easy to find pre-satnav, The Baytree in Southampton might have been as far West as you got, that pub might be the subject of another post. I think I have a map of their pubs that they produced about 1978 somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Probably the furthest West of the estate and not easy to find pre-satnav, The Baytree in Southampton might have been as far West as you got, that pub might be the subject of another post. I think I have a map of their pubs that they produced about 1978 somewhere.
    They spread further West later on. I think they had one or two in Warminster but I'm going from memory here, it may have been somewhere else. I have a vague recollection of going to one in the Northern suburbs of Southampton.

Default #graphsgalore

I love a good graph, so the table in today's 'Shut up about Barclay Perkins' blog posting about Ownership of UK pubs 1990-2017 was calling out for one to illustrate the changes to the pattern of UK pub ownership over the last 26 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ownership of UK pubs 1990 - 2017.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	1745

So two huge trends going in completely opposite directions between 1991 and the mid-2000s and then back again to the present day, all within the context of a market declining at an ever-increasing rate (in terms of numbers, although - notwithstanding the the micropub sector really taking off - the average pub size is going in the opposite direction).

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I love a good graph, so the table in today's 'Shut up about Barclay Perkins' blog posting about Ownership of UK pubs 1990-2017 was calling out for one to illustrate the changes to the pattern of UK pub ownership over the last 26 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ownership of UK pubs 1990 - 2017.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	1745

So two huge trends going in completely opposite directions between 1991 and the mid-2000s and then back again to the present day, all within the context of a market declining at an ever-increasing rate (in terms of numbers, although - notwithstanding the the micropub sector really taking off - the average pub size is going in the opposite direction).
    That picture is muddied by Heineken (Star Pubs and Bars) who are effectively another pubco that happens to be part of a global brewing abomination. I was in Margate yesterday, a place I had never visited before going there to do the JDW. I went to two proper micropubs, a bar that is barley bigger than the average micro, a place that is essentially a keg micropub, the JDW and one proper pub. The proper pub had two Gadds' beers the one which I tried being excellent. I didn't see any mainstream cask dross apart from in the JDW where you would expect it. I assume that I had never been to Margate before this decade as it was rubbish. I'd go back there anytime if only to have another go at finding the Little Prince (I couldn't even find the shopping area where it's situated!). I think things are looking up but slowly. As far as I'm concerned Marston's are one of the villains as they seem to think that having half a dozen breweries gives them the right to not stock any genuine guest ales. At least Greene King do have some pubs with proper guests.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    This puts me in mind of the Newport Inn, a small Hampshire pub hidden away in the country side...
    A splendid pub indeed, and a regular weekend visit for the superb 'doorstep' sandwiches! Sadly but not surprisingly I believe that it has now been converted to a private residence.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement