Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pubs gone but not forgotten

Default Rail Ale Rambles anyone?

Does anyone else remember these events? They were run by a bloke called Gerald whose surname may have been Daniels. He lived in Hampshire at a place called Church Crookham and was some sort of manager at Waterloo Station. The idea was that he would charter a train or group book a carriage to take a load of beer enthusiasts (aka drunks) to a distant attractive venue. I remember going to Keighley for the first time on one of there trips but the two that most clearly stick in my mind were Ulverston in the Lake District and Yarmouth on the Isle Of Wight. The Ulverston trip was a chartered train and is the only time I recall drinking Hartleys. The Yarmouth trip was in the 1980s but before afternoon opening came in. It was in December and the whole point of it was to latch onto the all day opening in Yarmouth to celebrate the delivery of the Christmas supplies to the Needles lighthouse. There were three of us and we immediately got a cab over to Freshwater to tick a Burt's pub (a new brewery!).
    I stopped going on them because a boorish group started attending who took a plastic barrel of cider with them and thought the rest of the train would be entertained by them doing a Conga along the carriages. I don't think they even went to any pubs at the destination.

I heard of them but never attended, I lived in Church Crookham for five years, five or six years ago, and now only five miles away.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I heard of them but never attended, I lived in Church Crookham for five years, five or six years ago, and now only five miles away.
    I suspected that Church Crookham was in your neck of the woods. I suspect that the introduction of cheap advance tickets killed it off. One of them was to Burton and I'm sure you can get there cheaper today via Tamworth on advance tickets.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I suspected that Church Crookham was in your neck of the woods. I suspect that the introduction of cheap advance tickets killed it off. One of them was to Burton and I'm sure you can get there cheaper today via Tamworth on advance tickets.
    Crookham Travel and they as far as I am aware still doing tours.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Crookham Travel and they as far as I am aware still doing tours.
    Really? The last I saw of them were that they were doing foreign rail trips. I'm not sure that Gerald (Daniels?) is still with us but he did have a young henchman and I really can't remember who he was. You're dead right about the name, it was Crookham Travel!

Really? The last I saw of them were that they were doing foreign rail trips. I'm not sure that Gerald (Daniels?) is still with us but he did have a young henchman and I really can't remember who he was. You're dead right about the name, it was Crookham Travel!
    http://www.crookhamtravel.co.uk/
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    So they are still going! Back in the day they were vory useful but with advance tickets on the trains and cheap,advance bookings at Premier Inn & Travelodge they are of no interest to me.
    I wonder if the Cider & Conga brigade sill follow them.

This Space For Hire

I'm not sure that Gerald (Daniels?) is still with us
    I last saw Gerry Daniels about 18 months ago I think. Not sure how actively involved he is now.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

That one doesn't ring any bells at all for me. I've tended to go along with Elvis Costello's viewpoint when it comes to that part of London.
    Yes I agree. But it was the most convenient meeting point for our frequent meet, me coming from north London with others from Acton, Roehampton, Ealing and Clapham.