Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 173

Thread: Your top 10 pubs

  1. #51
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    By my reckoning (which is probably wrong) we now have a top 39 from 200 nominations with 3 on four votes, 10 on three votes and 26 on two.
    I've got slightly different figures: 149 pubs have been nominated by 20 people (10 each on average, with Richard's nine balancing my greedy 11). I make it two pubs with four nominations each, nine with three and 27 with 2, the remaining 111 having one each.

    I've visited 30 of the top 38, but only 51 of the remaining 111 (or 42 out of 102 if excluding my own nominations).

    Aqualung - perhaps you've counted pubs with the same name as duplicates when in fact they are different pubs. For my part, I hadn't realised, until rechecking, that BF's Cask and John's Cask & Kitchen were the same pub in Pimlico that had its name simplified last year. Perhaps you've made the opposite error with some of the Halfway Houses, Fat Cats, Angels and Crowns?
    Come On You Hatters!

  2. #52
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    Tandlemans blog in his latest post suggests
    Don't be too quick to judge a pub on first visit or impressions.We must be getting it wrong on PuG.

  3. #53
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've got slightly different figures: 149 pubs have been nominated by 20 people (10 each on average, with Richard's nine balancing my greedy 11). I make it two pubs with four nominations each, nine with three and 27 with 2, the remaining 111 having one each.

    I've visited 30 of the top 38, but only 51 of the remaining 111 (or 42 out of 102 if excluding my own nominations).

    Aqualung - perhaps you've counted pubs with the same name as duplicates when in fact they are different pubs. For my part, I hadn't realised, until rechecking, that BF's Cask and John's Cask & Kitchen were the same pub in Pimlico that had its name simplified last year. Perhaps you've made the opposite error with some of the Halfway Houses, Fat Cats, Angels and Crowns?
    I've put an edited list into the spreadsheet with consistent names and places so I have 200 entries with an extra one for the title.I don't like using spreadsheets and had to swot up on how to import one from a text file. Nevertheless you're right there were errors but I now have 2 with four, 9 with three and 27 with two, same as you.

  4. #54
    I'll stay on me own Gann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Thanks for this Aqualung, what a headache that was...

    Sorry for being late to the party but like everyone else my list is more pertinent for the ones I had to put a line through to get down to a top 10 and for me these included..
    The Grove, Whitelocks First City Luncheon Bar, Bricklayers Arms, Seven Stars, The Cornubia, Cask, The Bow Bar, The Wellington, Southampton Arms, The Chesham Arms and The Pride of Spitalfields to name a few.. and that took some time...

    And it may shock some to think that I had to disregard some of these to include a Sam's Smith's pub...
    The ones that made it were:


    1. The Grove Inn in Leeds
    2. Peveril of the Peak Manchester
    3. The Royal Oak London SE1
    4. Live & Let Live in Cambridge
    5. Princess Louise in London WC1
    6. Roscoe Head in Liverpool
    7. Royal Standard in the Bucks countryside

    and then my personal local ones

    8. Ye Olde Mitre Inne in Barnet
    9. The Wenlock Arms because you can't spend your life in North London and not have this one
    10. The Orange Tree in London N21 because its my local and I'm very lucky it is..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

  5. #55
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Tandlemans blog in his latest post suggests
    Don't be too quick to judge a pub on first visit or impressions.We must be getting it wrong on PuG.
    As the pub he is talking about is his local I wouldn't take that much store by what he says.

    Especially as he regularly disses places in London that he's only visited once as well.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  6. #56
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    As the pub he is talking about is his local I wouldn't take that much store by what he says.

    Especially as he regularly disses places in London that he's only visited once as well.

    The only blog I look at when I remember is Boak and Bailey. The rest seem to be wannabe journalists so best avoided.

  7. #57

    Default

    Great thread:

    In no particular order:

    Drayman's Son, ELY
    House of Trembling Madness, YORK
    Harry's Bar, WAKEFIELD
    Organ Grinder, LOUGHBOROUGH
    Marble Arch, MANCHESTER
    White Horse, WELTON
    Royal Exchange, STONE
    Boltmaker's Arms, KEIGHLEY
    Grove, HUDDERSFIELD
    Plasterers Arms, NORWICH

    As so many have said, tough choice and some top places left out but then it's all subjective.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

  8. #58
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    By my probably inaccurate reckoning we now have one front runner with 5 votes, two with 4 votes, thirteen with 3 votes and 25 with 2 votes.

    Completely unrelated to this, I got an email from CAMRA earlier saying that the tenants of the Royal Oak in SE1 (it's in our hall of fame!) are leaving next week and that there's a party for them on Friday evening. I expect it will be rammed and I'm away so won't be there. I've only visited it the once so am hardly a regular!

  9. #59
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    By my probably inaccurate reckoning we now have one front runner with 5 votes, two with 4 votes, thirteen with 3 votes and 25 with 2 votes.
    My spreadsheet agrees with your spreadsheet, so we must be doing something right.

    Unless we're both making the same elementary errors....
    Come On You Hatters!

  10. #60
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,583

    Default

    According to the Forum statistics, there are 43 members classed as "active" - not sure if that's an appropriate description for people who spend a lot of time typing on their computers, laptops and mobile devices - and we've now had top 10s from more than half.
    Come On You Hatters!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2016, 14:01
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 10:14
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-10-2010, 22:08
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 24-12-2009, 20:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •