Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 pubs

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    That saying about "Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics is clearly right as the Grove isn't even on the earlier top 100!
    I ended up using a spreadsheet as the final two vote one was eluding me. My breakdown now agrees with yours.
    #spreadsheetsgalore!
    Come On You Hatters!

This exercise is much harder (for me anyway) than it first seemed. Anyway, below is my list.

Dacre Arms, Lee
    Hope, Carshalton
    Ye Old Mitre, Holborn
    Salisbury, Harringay
    Harp, Charing Cross
    Trafalgar, South Wimbledon
    Orange Tree, Winchmore Hill
    Square & Compass, Worth Matravers
    Red Lion, Snargate
    Star Inn, Bath

I may have missed pubs that should make my top 10 as I'm just going by my now somewhat erratic memory. But these are all good ones. My list is inevitably London-centric, but I have heard that there are several really good pubs outside London so I thought it fair to include a trio of ones that I have visited.

I would just like to pick up a point made earlier in this thread - in that I think it's perfectly reasonable to submit a review and rating after a single visit. Of course a single visit is just a snapshot, but if enough people post reviews following snapshot visits then anyone looking to visit the pub will have a very good idea what to expect. A case in point is the Red Lion at Snargate. I had no reason to visit Snargate other than to visit the Red Lion, have only paid a single visit to the pub and suspect that this is the case for the majority of us who have visited. But when anyone who hasn't visited looks at the reviews and ratings of so many "regulars' then they can be pretty sure that it's a damned good pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I would just like to pick up a point made earlier in this thread - in that I think it's perfectly reasonable to submit a review and rating after a single visit. Of course a single visit is just a snapshot, but if enough people post reviews following snapshot visits then anyone looking to visit the pub will have a very good idea what to expect. A case in point is the Red Lion at Snargate. I had no reason to visit Snargate other than to visit the Red Lion, have only paid a single visit to the pub and suspect that this is the case for the majority of us who have visited. But when anyone who hasn't visited looks at the reviews and ratings of so many "regulars' then they can be pretty sure that it's a damned good pub.
    Good point!
    Come On You Hatters!

This exercise is much harder (for me anyway) than it first seemed.
    I think it has been for everyone. If you think about it too hard you'll never end up with a list!

Your vote has elevated it to the "Hall Of Fame" and given that it's one that I prevaricated over quite a lot then it probably belongs in the upper reaches of the two votes group. I've actually been there several times, the first time being the early 1980s before it became a GBG regular. We were on a tour of pubs in Oxney and Romney Marsh that sold Biddendon Cider. This was the final one and easily the best so we stayed until closing time. I've never been there without trying some cider and that's probably what swung it as to me it's as much a cider house selling beer as a pub selling cider if that makes any sense at all!

This exercise is much harder (for me anyway) than it first seemed.
    Not so much as to what to put in but what to leave out.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

This exercise is much harder (for me anyway) than it first seemed. Anyway, below is my list.

Dacre Arms, Lee
    Hope, Carshalton
    Ye Old Mitre, Holborn
    Salisbury, Harringay
    Harp, Charing Cross
    Trafalgar, South Wimbledon
    Orange Tree, Winchmore Hill
    Square & Compass, Worth Matravers
    Red Lion, Snargate
    Star Inn, Bath

I may have missed pubs that should make my top 10 as I'm just going by my now somewhat erratic memory. But these are all good ones. My list is inevitably London-centric, but I have heard that there are several really good pubs outside London so I thought it fair to include a trio of ones that I have visited.

The Red Lion sounds a bit like The Harrow Inn which has painfully few reviews considering it's such a nationally cherished pub.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Maybe ruined is the wrong word, what I was getting at was ones which have become gastro pubs or restaurants, so arguably no longer pubs.
    R.I.P the Warburton Arms: Martello Hall Gaze upon its loveliness here: https://www.martellohall.com/#welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    R.I.P the Warburton Arms: Martello Hall Gaze upon its loveliness here: https://www.martellohall.com/#welcome
    I lived in Hackney for many years up until 1988 so knew several pubs in the area but this one doesn't ring any bells. All I know about Hackney (and probably all of inner East London) today is that huge swathes of pubs closed, with some re-opened and gentrified. Some have been simply gentrified. The way I see it is that what were rubbish pubs have become rubbish in a different way.
    I'll start a thread for it as you clearly have some ideas which are completely different to mine. My only thought for East London was the Young's Norfolk Arms in Dalston. It's still on the site as a closed pub and was a basic local boozer, although probably newer than the surrounding area.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

In no specific order, and with deep regret for many who didn't make it, but who may well do on another day...
    Crown, Stockport
    Kelham Island Tavern, Sheffield
    Victoria, Beeston
    Crown, Beeston
    Brunswick, Derby
    Fat Cat and Canary, Norwich
    Fat Cat, Norwich
    Seven Stars, Rugby
    Dove Street Inn, Ipswich
    Blythe Hill Tavern, Catford-ish

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    In no specific order, and with deep regret for many who didn't make it, but who may well do on another day...
    Since I posted my top 10 I keep thinking of ones I should have considered but overlooked!
    By my reckoning (which is probably wrong) we now have a top 39 from 200 nominations with 3 on four votes, 10 on three votes and 26 on two.