Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 pubs

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    One more list of (preferably) ten may just get us to a top 50.
    I think we're still waiting for Custodian to chime up with his favoured pubs selling >4.5% beer.

As my tenth vote couldn't really count in a useful way, I'll replace it with the Black Horse, Preston

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    As my tenth vote couldn't really count in a useful way, I'll replace it with the Black Horse, Preston
    Would you mind amending your original post to reflect this in case anyone attempts to build their own count? That makes 262 nominations and does change the Hall of Fame slightly. I've been looking through the Hall Of Fame tonight and it's a really interesting mix.

Would you mind amending your original post to reflect this in case anyone attempts to build their own count? That makes 262 nominations and does change the Hall of Fame slightly. I've been looking through the Hall Of Fame tonight and it's a really interesting mix.
    See #post97678

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I think we're still waiting for Custodian to chime up with his favoured pubs selling >4.5% beer.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    He does have a point I think. One thing that really annoys me is going to a pub doing say 5 or 6 beers and they are all around the 4.0% mark and all standard bitters. If there's only a couple of beers then I more or less expect it. What's the point of doing half a dozen beers if they are all similar? I think I've mentioned before that when confronted with a wide largely unrecognised choice and I know I'm only having one then the adage "When in doubt go for the strongest" comes in handy.
    It must also be annoying for the many members of the low abv brigade to find they are paying the same or only pennies less for their 3.8% beer as someone on a 5.5% offering. Weaker standard beer should be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post

Thanks for that. The three vote band now numbers 14 and the two votes go down to 27.

This Space For Hire

He does have a point I think. One thing that really annoys me is going to a pub doing say 5 or 6 beers and they are all around the 4.0% mark and all standard bitters. If there's only a couple of beers then I more or less expect it. What's the point of doing half a dozen beers if they are all similar?
    When we lived in Sarf London our local pub was a Stonegate JDW clone boasting no less than nine handpumps, which was about five too many given the throughput. Most of the time the whole lot were dispensing Doombar, Pride, Young's Ord, Bombardier, GKIPA, Abbot, Morland's Original, Courage Best, you get the idea. If they were feeling adventurous there might be Hobgoblin. I often resorted to Wifebeater knowing that finding anything in reasonable condition was a lottery.

One time I did moan to Stonegate, and was told "As it stands, we have a regular selection of around 15 ales which we are always changing, but we must still provide what our local customers demand, which as you pointed out is the standard ales such as London Pride, GK IPA and Bombadier. We feel we would be doing our regular customers a disservice if we remove these ales in place of something seasonal or new that they may not like. Our aim is to keep some of our regular ales and alternate our new seasonal ones throughout the summer. At the moment we have Jennings Cumberland, Youngs Burning Gold and Hobgoblin all ready to go on."

I continued to be unimpressed.

Glass Half Full

My Favourite Ten Pubs
    10/. Bar Fringe - Manchester
    9/. Ma Egerton’s - Liverpool
    8/. The Black Horse – Preston
    7/. The Oddfellow’s Arms – Nantwich
    6/. Ye Old Boot In – Chester
    5/. Major Tom’s - Harrogate
    4/. Lady Luck – Canterbury
    3/. The Philharmonic Dining Rooms - Liverpool
    2/. Hogarths - Preston
    1/. FAB Café - Manchester

We now have a top 20 of pubs with three or more supporters.
    Come On You Hatters!