Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 pubs

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    We are still missing some contributors.
    I haven’t been ignoring this thread, I’ve been following it with interest and would like to contribute. I just have no idea what my top ten are! I don’t keep my own record on a spreadsheet like some people and have only managed to come up with about half a dozen that I think might be in my top ten. And some of them were prompted by other people’s choices, so may only be there because of that.

I really need to review all my 9’s and 10’s and go from there. I’ve asked Dave for an extract like he did for Quinno, so will hopefully have something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    I haven’t been ignoring this thread, I’ve been following it with interest and would like to contribute. I just have no idea what my top ten are! I don’t keep my own record on a spreadsheet like some people and have only managed to come up with about half a dozen that I think might be in my top ten. And some of them were prompted by other people’s choices, so may only be there because of that.

I really need to review all my 9’s and 10’s and go from there. I’ve asked Dave for an extract like he did for Quinno, so will hopefully have something soon.

I think we all feel your pain! What I and I suspect several others did was to come up with a top 10 in a single moment. If I had access to all my scores then I'm sure that my list would be vastly different. All lists are largely a bit of fun and this is no exception. I would recommend you just go with your instincts! There's not going to be a jury on your decision but I'm sure that there will be discussion on the final results but none of this is really relevant. Some people prefer some pubs over others. It's not really a big deal!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    I'm in similar position of following but not contributing because now I'm medically TT any views I had are out of date by at least 3 years
    I drink to make others more interesting

I'll stay on me own

Right, Dave has kindly provided me a list of all pubs that I have scored 9 or 10. That totalled 26, which I soon narrowed down to 19 for one reason or another. Of those, 7 were obvious candidates, but I really struggled to pick 3 from the remaining 12. So, I'm not sure it is really my top 10, on another day it may well be slightly different, but would be at least 70% the same!

The Fleece Inn - Bretforton, near Evesham
    Thatchers Arms - near Bridgwater
    The Star Inn - Bath
    The Mayflower - Rotherhithe
    Ye Olde Mitre - EC1
    The Bell Inn - Kersey, Suffolk
    The Black Friar - EC4
    The Trotter Inn - near Wedmore, Somerset
    Black Horse - Clapton in Gordano, near Bristol
    The Crown Inn - Churchill, near Bristol
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 18-01-2019 at 15:31.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    When we lived in Sarf London our local pub was a Stonegate JDW clone boasting no less than nine handpumps, which was about five too many given the throughput. Most of the time the whole lot were dispensing Doombar, Pride, Young's Ord, Bombardier, GKIPA, Abbot, Morland's Original, Courage Best, you get the idea. If they were feeling adventurous there might be Hobgoblin. I often resorted to Wifebeater knowing that finding anything in reasonable condition was a lottery.

One time I did moan to Stonegate, and was told "As it stands, we have a regular selection of around 15 ales which we are always changing, but we must still provide what our local customers demand, which as you pointed out is the standard ales such as London Pride, GK IPA and Bombadier. We feel we would be doing our regular customers a disservice if we remove these ales in place of something seasonal or new that they may not like. Our aim is to keep some of our regular ales and alternate our new seasonal ones throughout the summer. At the moment we have Jennings Cumberland, Youngs Burning Gold and Hobgoblin all ready to go on."

I continued to be unimpressed.
    This pub's selection pretty much perfectly mirrors my least favourite beers and things must be bad when Hobgoblin is considered 'adventurous'. All that's missing is that satanic Thornbridge cucumber brew.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    When we lived in Sarf London our local pub was a Stonegate JDW clone boasting no less than nine handpumps, which was about five too many given the throughput. Most of the time the whole lot were dispensing Doombar, Pride, Young's Ord, Bombardier, GKIPA, Abbot, Morland's Original, Courage Best, you get the idea. If they were feeling adventurous there might be Hobgoblin. I often resorted to Wifebeater knowing that finding anything in reasonable condition was a lottery.

One time I did moan to Stonegate, and was told "As it stands, we have a regular selection of around 15 ales which we are always changing, but we must still provide what our local customers demand, which as you pointed out is the standard ales such as London Pride, GK IPA and Bombadier. We feel we would be doing our regular customers a disservice if we remove these ales in place of something seasonal or new that they may not like. Our aim is to keep some of our regular ales and alternate our new seasonal ones throughout the summer. At the moment we have Jennings Cumberland, Youngs Burning Gold and Hobgoblin all ready to go on."

I continued to be unimpressed.

There are some Wetherspoon outlets that aren't much better but usually on a bad day. I think Stonegate must have an agreement with Marstons as they all seem to stock their beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    All that's missing is that satanic Thornbridge cucumber brew.
    I quite like that beer, weird or what.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I'm biased as I can't abide cucumbers but I love pickled gherkins. Weird or what?

I'm biased as I can't abide cucumbers but I love pickled gherkins. Weird or what?
    Weird!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Whatever. Has this got anything to do with beer? Or pubs?

OK, FWIW: I like cornichons but if I buy a cucumber it stays in my fridge until it's pretty much rotten. Is that when I'm supposed to make beer with it?
    Come On You Hatters!