Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 pubs

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Trouble is "ruined" is too easy. Try every single Morland's pub, every single Brakspear's pub, every single Morrell's pub. You know why, and that's just Oxfordshire.
    Maybe ruined is the wrong word, what I was getting at was ones which have become gastro pubs or restaurants, so arguably no longer pubs.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Maybe ruined is the wrong word, what I was getting at was ones which have become gastro pubs or restaurants, so arguably no longer pubs.
    For gastrification, I suggest almost all of the Young's estate, willful destruction started almost the day John Young died. This one, a favourite work local in the 90s, deserves a special place in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    For gastrification, I suggest almost all of the Young's estate, willful destruction started almost the day John Young died. This one, a favourite work local in the 90s, deserves a special place in hell.
    I went round the Young's estate back in the mid 1970s to become a member of the 135 association so know exactly what you're saying. For me the rot began when they got rid of the public bar at the Windmill on Clapham Common which I think happened in the 1980s. Even before that the original Founders Arms and Prince William Henry in SE1, both being archetypal back street boozers were replaced with the current versions. I won't go in a Young's pub now and stopped going to them before they abandoned the brewery.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

1 Black Horse, Preston
    2 Roscoe Head, Liverpool
    3 The Masons Arms, Billinge
    4 The Talbot, St Helens
    5 The City Arms, Manchester
    6 Wigan Central, Wigan
    7 White Star, Liverpool
    8 The Herdwick, Lancaster
    9 Cross Keys, Chester
    10 Golden Lion, Lancaster

From my three or four years spent pub ticking so not a huge amount to choose from. Of course I need to get around more!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    1 [URL="https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/19630/"]
    8 The Herdwick, Lancaster
    Don't forget to take a photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    1 [URL="https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/19630/"]
    10 Golden Lion, Lancaster
    Ah yes, The Whittle. I remember it well. When I lived in Lancaster it used to be owned by Matthew Brown of Blackburn, now long since defunct. It was a good locals pub, just out of the city centre. Glad you like it.
    Come On You Hatters!

We appear to now have a top pub list as by my reckoning there are at least 16 with two votes, 6 with three and just 1 with four. This is a manual count that requires confirmation and I will probably need assistance to confirm the two votes. I hope that anyone who hasn't posted a list will be able to do so which might just push it to a top 30.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Don't forget to take a photo!
    I won't be back there for a while now and I'll be surprised if Peter Ashworth doesn't get there before me. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to take a photo but it's not the most photogenic of buildings really!

Real Ale Drinker

For what it's worth and in no particular order, a current top ten:
    The Grapes (Roscoe St) - Liverpool.
    The Brunswick - Derby.
    The Sportsman - Huddersfield.
    The New Oxford - Salford.
    The Wellington - Birmingham.
    The Angel - Manchester.
    The Court House - Dudley.
    The Seven Stars - Rugby.
    The Crown - Stockport.
    Malt n Hops - Chorley.
    All probably subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    We appear to now have a top pub list as by my reckoning there are at least 16 with two votes, 6 with three and just 1 with four. This is a manual count that requires confirmation and I will probably need assistance to confirm the two votes. I hope that anyone who hasn't posted a list will be able to do so which might just push it to a top 30.
    Chapeau for counting them manually! #spreadsheetsgalore (Some pubs have been nominated under slightly different names: Old Swan/Ma Pardoes, Bull & Bladder/Vine Inn.)

I make it 21 with two votes, eight with three and the current leader with four votes is (drum roll) the Grove at Huddersfield. So that makes 30!

We've had 18 contributions so far, so I join Aqualung in hoping some more of you will join in.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 03-01-2019 at 14:30. Reason: more duplicates found on spreadsheet
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I make it 21 with two votes, eight with three and the current leader with four votes is (drum roll) the Grove at Huddersfield. So that makes 30!
    That saying about "Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics is clearly right as the Grove isn't even on the earlier top 100!
    I ended up using a spreadsheet as the final two vote one was eluding me. My breakdown now agrees with yours.