Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 pubs

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Quite right. I've found an error on my spreadsheet and now agree with your numbers.
    I thought I had it right this time as I crated a Sortkey list with just the pub name and place. I bunged that into the Spreadsheet, sorted it and then did a subtotal count. I had to remove a few trailing spaces. I'm sure there's a better way but I don't like Spreadsheets!
    We are still missing some contributors.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Is the #spreadsheetsgalore team going to provide an interim update listing the top 44?
    I've got a text file made up with the 44 pubs. It's down to whether publication may sway decisions of those who have not yet voted. Personally I don't think that's likely as it's difficult enough as it is!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've got a text file made up with the 44 pubs. It's down to whether publication may sway decisions of those who have not yet voted. Personally I don't think that's likely as it's difficult enough as it is!
    The place to post it is, of course, Yet Another List. Then we can see if anyone's been in all 44.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's down to whether publication may sway decisions of those who have not yet voted. Personally I don't think that's likely as it's difficult enough as it is!
    But just to be on the safe side, what about leaving it unpublished until, say, the end of January. (Describing this as a "vote" and then publishing a list of 44 front runners is more likely than not to sway some opinions, IMHO.)
    Come On You Hatters!

But just to be on the safe side, what about leaving it unpublished until, say, the end of January. (Describing this as a "vote" and then publishing a list of 44 front runners is more likely than not to sway some opinions, IMHO.)
    OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Good to see some more support for the Harrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    I visited The Harrow just before Christmas (it had been on the hitlist for a while) - reminds me a litle of The Bell at Aldworth; especially with semi-al fresco Gents.
    I was intrigued by this off-the-cuff exchange. I note that the Harrow at Steep has not been reviewed since 2013 when Tris39 "felt more like an inconvenience rather than a valued customer" when he bought a round and found the landlady "standoffish"; and Quinno's review, copied from the dark side, I believe, and with a score of 3 (but dating from 2007, when he was nobbut a callow youth, I estimate ) is responsible for dragging this pub's average rating down to 5.5, the lowest of the 179 different pubs suggested by the 25 contributors so far. (The average rating for the 176 pubs on the list that have been given a score is 8.5. Thanks for asking.)

I hope Komakino's review of his pre-Christmas visit will be more encouraging. Perhaps the landlady has recently retired, which would certainly seem likely to have given the pub a boost!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 15-01-2019 at 18:25.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I was intrigued by this off-the-cuff exchange. I note that the Harrow at Steep has not been reviewed since 2013 when Tris39 "felt more like an inconvenience rather than a valued customer" when he bought a round and found the landlady "standoffish"; and Quinno's review, copied from the dark side, I believe, and with a score of 3 (but dating from 2007, when he was nobbut a callow youth, I estimate ) is responsible for dragging this pub's average rating down to 5.5, the lowest of the 179 different pubs suggested by the 25 contributors so far. (The average rating for the 176 pubs on the list that have been given a score is 8.5. Thanks for asking.)

I hope Komakino's review of his pre-Christmas visit will be more encouraging. Perhaps the landlady has recently retired, which would certainly seem likely to have given the pub a boost!
    The other two reviewers seemed unfazed so perhaps both me and Quinno were unlucky. She's not exactly rude as such, rather a bit "Oh alright then [huff/puff]". In London, this would probably go unnoticed, but when you are in what vies as one of the most idyllic pubs ever (never out of the Good Pub Guide) with a plate of the best and most beautifully prepared pub grub I've ever had, it does grate a bit, especially when there were only about two other customers in on our early afternoon visit. I doubt she has retired as she can't be much older than me; if necessary, best to just let her wash over you and bask in the experience. Otherwise, 9.5/10.

With Ray's Drunken Baker's Dozen I reckon we now have an extra 3 on two votes. The breakdown now is two on five votes, four on 4 votes, thirteen on 3 votes and twenty eight on two votes, One more list of (preferably) ten may just get us to a top 50.