Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 50 best country pubs

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Default The 50 best country pubs

According to Saturday's Independent magazine thingy this week, at least.

Infuriatingly, they have put each pub on a separate page which, as the sole comment points out, is one of the most stupid examples of web-page design ever seen.

Anyway, I actually bought the paper, and can report that I have not visited any of the pubs, except for The Feathers in Helmsley when i was about 6. This is largely due to my deep-rooted pathological mistrust of the countryside and everything/one in it.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I've only been to one as well, the John Harvey Tavern in Lewes. That can hardly be descibed as a country pub or even one of the best, especially with the Gardeners Arms just around the corner. Pretty poor article in my opinion and I've just left the following comment on their site,

If you are going to use the word ‘pubs’ in the title for an article you really should make sure that’s what its about. You may just as well have called this ‘50 Best Country Hotels & Restaurants’. This looks like a lazy piece of work, with only a brief paragraph about each pub which doesn’t tell us much. Presumably your photographer is on holiday as many look like they’ve been wrenched from the National Archives. Then there’s the one of a person walking a dog and carrying a brace of pheasant with the pub nowhere to be seen. I thought the one of a double bed was the most ridiculous pub photo until I came across the Google Map screenshot. Rather than 50 I think you should have concentrated on 20 and done a proper job.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Presumably in the paper there is a more in depth report to each "pub".

Pretty pointless waste of internet space IMO.

Millay am i to take it that fence sitting is not big down Watford way.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

I think the word you're looking for is "PANTS".

I assume the journalist did indeed visit all fifty???

The Flowerpots in Cheriton is well worth a vist. But where is the Crown in Churchill or Tuckers Grave where the drink is served from the corner of the room,or dare I say the Square and Compass,Worth Matravers(not my cup of tea but indeed a great country pub).

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post

If you are going to use the word ‘pubs’ in the title for an article you really should make sure that’s what its about. You may just as well have called this ‘50 Best Country Hotels & Restaurants’. This looks like a lazy piece of work, with only a brief paragraph about each pub which doesn’t tell us much. Presumably your photographer is on holiday as many look like they’ve been wrenched from the National Archives. Then there’s the one of a person walking a dog and carrying a brace of pheasant with the pub nowhere to be seen. I thought the one of a double bed was the most ridiculous pub photo until I came across the Google Map screenshot. Rather than 50 I think you should have concentrated on 20 and done a proper job.
    Nicely put. I didn't look at all the pictures on the web - the article in the magazine is only accompanied by about 10 pictures (including none of the three wonderful examples you cite), so it probably is the case that someone just hunted about Google Images for the rest. Number 35 is a particular favourite, a lovely study of a pretty rainbow above some buildings which may or may not count the pub among their number.

Also enjoyed the justification for including the John Harvey Tavern. "Not technically a country pub...rates for easy access to the countryside."

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Presumably in the paper there is a more in depth report to each "pub".)
    Nope. One short paragraph per pub. The text on the website is exactly the same as in the magazine. Only difference is that each pub gets its own inane picture on the web, instead of just one in five.

At least you lot only lost some minutes of your time due to this. I foolishly spent £1.60, as I tend to find the papers on a Saturday much the same, and usually get the one with the most interesting looking features emblazoned across the front, or one of those free DVDs, so that I can add it to my growing pile of free DVDs that I have never watched.

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    I assume the journalist did indeed visit all fifty???

But where is the Crown in Churchill or Tuckers Grave where the drink is served from the corner of the room
    The 50 were chosen by a panel of 5, including Roger Protz. They should definitely have included Tuckers Grave, if only so that I could then lay claim to having visited 2 pubs on the list. I went to Tuckers Grave in 1991, as part of some ill-advised trip to the countryside. I made it back to civilisation relatively unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    The 50 were chosen by a panel of 5, including Roger Protz. They should definitely have included Tuckers Grave, if only so that I could then lay claim to having visited 2 pubs on the list. I went to Tuckers Grave in 1991, as part of some ill-advised trip to the countryside. I made it back to civilisation relatively unscathed.
    Probably not on google maps yet and the pickled eggs aren't laid by organically certified quails.......

As for being "unscathed"...................????

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Millay am i to take it that fence sitting is not big down Watford way.
    It certainly isn't, well not at that time on a hot and sticky Sunday morning when I'm feeling the effect of too many Essex Beasts* during the football yesterday.

I'm hoping to be feeling a little more mellow around 5pm today

* That's the beer not the women
    Last edited by Millay; 27-06-2010 at 09:50. Reason: I felt some clarification was required around the term Essex Beasts
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Sorry Millay, I dont think any of us will be felling mellow at five.