Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PG Top 100 rated pubs

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    That is brilliant, I really like that. A proper list based on genuine reviewers rather than the opinions of some food/wine snob or whoever is doing the particular list in question. And presumably it will also get updated as ratings change. A very useful reference. Is there going to be a link added to the front page, I can see me checking this whenever I’m off to a new area?

Interesting that for some reason I hadn’t rated No.3, although I generally always do. A bit annoying too that I only photographed no. 71 a few weeks ago, and would have made the effort to stop if I’d known it was a “top 100” and had planned on going in no. 88 last week but abandoned the idea due to the very inclement weather. Again, would have made more of an effort if I’d known.
    It should get updated once a day, can't quite do it in real time as there are a lot of calculations going on. I wouldn't get too attached to the list as it stands, it is an interesting starting point but I am going to have to tweak the algorithm a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I wouldn't set too much store by it, many are only reviewed by a couple of people, sometimes long ago.
    Yes, very valid points, but without having tens of thousands of ratings coming in every year it is always going to be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Am I missing something? By my reckoning the Great Western has an average rating of 9.2 or 9.3. The Duke Of Cambridge in Willenhall has two 9s making 9.0.

Edit: Similarly I can't see how the Albion in Conwy has missed out. Is it cos it's Welsh?
    Thanks for those examples. The way I have done it causes a bias against pubs with more ratings, also just spotted a problem with my maths.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Just spotted a problem with my maths.
    Isn't that a line from one of the Dollars Spaghetti Westerns?

I agree with Blackthorn, it's a great idea.

Do you intend to have a map layer that shows where they are?
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

Cease and desist immediately.Just checked the London pubs featured and cannot believe they are anything like the top pubs in London.Hate to think someone would look up Pubs Galore and went to some of these pubs on this recommendation.

Ohh stats! I love stats.

So let's have a look at some basics

- Only include scores from reviewers who have reviewed over X is sensible
    - The more reviews you have, the better level of certainty. Should there actually be two tables, those where the pub has =>4 and those where the pub has <4?
    - Should reviews be weighted by age? In that, the older reviews carry less weight. So a review in the last year has a weight of 10, in the last two years 8 etc etc
    - Mean, median or mode?

I've fixed my initial mistakes and the list has changed a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Isn't that a line from one of the Dollars Spaghetti Westerns?
    Really not sure, very long time since I've seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Do you intend to have a map layer that shows where they are?
    Certainly can do if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Cease and desist immediately.Just checked the London pubs featured and cannot believe they are anything like the top pubs in London.Hate to think someone would look up Pubs Galore and went to some of these pubs on this recommendation.
    Well we can try to improve it, but I can only work with the data I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Ohh stats! I love stats.

So let's have a look at some basics

- Only include scores from reviewers who have reviewed over X is sensible
    I wrote that part years ago when I was playing with the first so had to check. It turns out I'm including anyone with 3 or more reviews, but they are weighted lower than someone with say 50 reviews.

- The more reviews you have, the better level of certainty. Should there actually be two tables, those where the pub has =>4 and those where the pub has <4?
    At the moment there is a weighting to slightly downgrade ones with fewer reviews. I think it still biased too much towards ones with few reviews but I quite like that in terms of pub discovery.

- Should reviews be weighted by age? In that, the older reviews carry less weight. So a review in the last year has a weight of 10, in the last two years 8 etc etc
    Good question. I had ruled that out when I was looking at this before, but I think the main reason was that I was trying to pull it all together into one insane SQL query. Could certainly do it.

- Mean, median or mode?
    Toyed with all of the above in various ways, at the moment it is based on normalised reviews on a per user basis and then taking a weighted mean. Ideally I'd lean more towards a median of some sort I think, but trying to gain meaning from small data this is the best I can do.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I noticed the discussion about trying to produce a PG top 100 pubs in the 'Yet another list' thread and it reminded me of some stuff I'd done a while back for weighting ratings.

So here you go, a top 100 based on the weighted ratings of PG reviewers.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/pubs/top-rated/

It is undoubtedly skewed in all sorts of ways, but it might prove to be an interesting guide for good pubs that haven't been reviewed much.

One of the skews means that it is generally harder for pubs that have featured on a PG crawl (and have lots of ratings) to appear on the list, I need to work out how to tweak the algorithm without pushing it too far in their favour instead.
    Hello Dave. You're looking well today.

Is there not a small problem with the evolution of a pub? Sometimes a pub's name changes but is otherwise the same, some pubs retain the same name but over time alter beyond recognition. The problem is that ratings don't always reflect the pub as it stands: a much loved boozer from 2008 is now a stripped out gastropub. Conversely, the awful theme pub serving Fosters is now a beautifully restored Victorian beauty - the rating a reviewer gave ten years ago may have no bearing on their verdict ten years on. If the https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23788/ had been reviewed ten years ago it would have been condemned, now it's almost universally praised yet the old ratings - if there were any - would still apply.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Well, Ye Olde Mitre was in there, that’s one of my favourite London pubs. Not familiar with the others though, so can’t comment.