Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Top Tens

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This just goes to show that "marketing" (aka brainwashing a gullible public) works. Has anyone ever seen Ruddles Best outside of the JDW chain? I'm pretty sure I haven't.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Did anyone else read the text accompanying the Doom Bar image?

....the Cornwall based brewer announced it would trial an extra chilled variant of the popular brew in selected pubs, in a bid to counter consumer criticism that cask ale is 'too warm'. Doom Bar Extra Chilled will be served at a temperature of 8C, which is the average temperature of a premium lager.

A prospect that is positively sphincter tightening in its awfulness.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This just goes to show that "marketing" (aka brainwashing a gullible public) works. Has anyone ever seen Ruddles Best outside of the JDW chain? I'm pretty sure I haven't.
    I totally agree.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

....the Cornwall based brewer announced it would trial an extra chilled variant of the popular brew in selected pubs, in a bid to counter consumer criticism that cask ale is 'too warm'. Doom Bar Extra Chilled will be served at a temperature of 8C, which is the average temperature of a premium lager.

I missed that but I would say that chilling a rubbish sweet beer can make it more drinkable. During that awful heat last summer I was putting tins of Abbot in the freezer when after three hours you could pour it out as an Abbot slush which was very refreshing and tasted a lot better than usual.
    As for Doom Bore, why don;t they just keg the rubbish?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

...I would say that chilling a rubbish sweet beer can make it more drinkable.
    Agreed. The flavour profiles of some cheap beers, particularly industrial lagers, are appalling at room temperature.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

I think this is brewed for Wetherspoons only as the brewer(marstons/?) were unhappy with the low price Wetherspoons were selling Ruddles County.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

Camra say cask beer should be 12-14
    Cask Marque who police the pubs on our behalf and award them a plaque so we can be confident that the beer is in good condition
    Cask Marque 2014 11-13
    Cask Marque 2018 10-14
    and I read recently from a Cask Marque inspector that they now are allowed to call it perfect temp at 8 as some brewers are happy with this temp.Doombar is obviously one.This goes against one of the main principles of cask beer.Camra should be up in arms.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I think this is brewed for Wetherspoons only as the brewer(marstons/?) were unhappy with the low price Wetherspoons were selling Ruddles County.
    Ruddles Best is GK as is County which bears as much resemblance to the original as a glass of water.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Camra say cask beer should be 12-14
    Cask Marque who police the pubs on our behalf and award them a plaque so we can be confident that the beer is in good condition
    Cask Marque 2014 11-13
    Cask Marque 2018 10-14
    and I read recently from a Cask Marque inspector that they now are allowed to call it perfect temp at 8 as some brewers are happy with this temp.Doombar is obviously one.This goes against one of the main principles of cask beer.Camra should be up in arms.
    If the cellar is 8 then the beer probably won't ferment properly.
    During that hot summer I reckon that the cellar thermostat (assuming there is one) could be turned down to 10-11. But only if it remains hot or warm overnight. I recall that there were warm days in May and June but the overnight temperatures dropped. It was mainly in July and August when I got a load of rank or warm beers.