Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bar snacks

I thought Murphy was a variety of potato but looking it up apparently it's just a slang term for any spud, I guess that's where the brand name came from. I vaguely remember Murphy's and Tudor but a definite regional one was Benson's from Blackburn - obviously available in Thwaites pubs in pre-T wa t s days. What ever happened to Golden Wonder?

My first encounter with pork scratchings was "Ernie Rounds" as sold in Bristol pubs in the 70s, - teeth breaking and complete with bristles - as disgusting then as they are now . The Village in Salisbury used to serve prawn crackers doused in chilli powder of a Sunday lunchtime - excellent with a pint of Landlord.

Off on a tangent,but does anyone remember Percy Dalton's Famous Peanuts? They had a warehouse in our village, but I never remember eating them in the pubs round about. The Gentle Author posted one of his evocative old photos of the East End featuring a billboard advert for them. I think it found its way onto these boards.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Off on a tangent,but does anyone remember Percy Dalton's Famous Peanuts? .
    Can't say I've seen them, I liked the ones on a card where the young damsel got to show bits as every pack was sold. Probably banned now

More tangential, there was a Smith's crisp factory where I lived, like breweries you could always smell when they had a batch on the go

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Off on a tangent,but does anyone remember Percy Dalton's Famous Peanuts? They had a warehouse in our village, but I never remember eating them in the pubs round about. The Gentle Author posted one of his evocative old photos of the East End featuring a billboard advert for them. I think it found its way onto these boards.
    I remember the name. were they the ones that came in their cases which you had to break open to get at the nuts?

My first encounter with pork scratchings was in the mid to late seventies on my first visit to the Black Country,.they were unheard of in London.

The Cambridge Blue before they ruined it used to sell fantastic poppadoms.

In the 1990s the Great Western used to do proper pork rolls including crackling and / or fried onions if you wanted that. They used to cook their own enormous pork joints and the rolls were those long soft white ones with a huge helping of pork filling it. They cost less than £1.50.
    The ones they do now are rubbish in comparison, the pork is that pulled stuff that's been microwaved.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    What ever happened to Golden Wonder?
    Still going... Golden Wonder, albeit rescued out of administration in 2006 by who? Tayto, of course!

I’ll
    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Still going... Golden Wonder, albeit rescued out of administration in 2006 by who? Tayto, of course!
    I’m surprised Real Ale Ray hasn’t commented on Tayto yet as we had a bit of chat about them in Manchester, Mrs RA who is of course Irish, wasn’t that impressed IIRC, they might be out on the P today of course, I know I am - see another thread 🤪

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Meanwhile on the original subject, take look at this lot on Pinterest![/QUOTE]

Mrs Ale here...ah Tayto Pub Crisps, that takes me back, a big part of my childhood, and of course Taytos! Yum
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

I’ll

I’m surprised Real Ale Ray hasn’t commented on Tayto yet as we had a bit of chat about them in Manchester, Mrs RA who is of course Irish, wasn’t that impressed IIRC, they might be out on the P today of course, I know I am - see another thread 🤪
    Yes I actually prefer Seabrook Ready Salted to Taytos these days, (don't let AEM hear that!). I only ever have them on trips back home, they accompany the Guinness quite nicely. Mrs Ale
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

My first encounter with pork scratchings was "Ernie Rounds" as sold in Bristol pubs in the 70s, - teeth breaking and complete with bristles - as disgusting then as they are now . The Village in Salisbury used to serve prawn crackers doused in chilli powder of a Sunday lunchtime - excellent with a pint of Landlord.
    Ernie rounds ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a salmon !!

How about a pie ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a salmon !!