Ads not shown when logged in

View Poll Results: Where would you like to go on the Southern Crawl,Spring 2019 ?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bath

7 36.84%
  • Cambridge

7 36.84%
  • Canterbury

4 21.05%
  • Cardiff

9 47.37%
  • Chelmsford

8 42.11%
  • Chichester

3 15.79%
  • Lewes

2 10.53%
  • London

3 15.79%
  • Portsmouth

10 52.63%
  • Salisbury

5 26.32%
  • Southampton

3 15.79%
  • Tunbridge Wells

4 21.05%
  • Winchester

9 47.37%
  • Worthing

4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Strangely for a town the size of Portsmouth, it doesn't seem to have caught up with the micro pub explosion yet and is virginal in that respect..

However the Southsea Brewing Co is planning to open the first one in January
    https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/bu...pubs-1-8617840

This may be a bit too far east in Eastney and there doesn't seem a lot else worthwhile going out in this direction with the possible exception of Sir Loin of Beef
    There's a bus service that runs every 10 minutes in both directions and with stops along Albert Road (near Porters, Phoenix, Leopold) and in Eastney (Sir Loin of Beef), with a northern swing towards Milton, passing the proposed site of the new micro on Eastney Road.

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for those who want to expand their horizons a little, I think a Plus Bus ticket may have to be a consideration, when buying train tickets.
    Come On You Hatters!

I keep trying to get to Staggeringly Good Brewery Company but it's never been open when I've been in the area. Sadly it doesn't fit neatly into a really good crawl.
    Last edited by ETA; 01-12-2018 at 07:58.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

From my couple of visits to Pompey, there's a lot of legwork unless you plan well as it is a surprisingly large area (I suppose because Portsmouth / Southsea / Gosport etc have all merged together over the years and now basically trade as 'Portsmouth'!

The Leopold is no longer top dog as mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    From my couple of visits to Pompey, there's a lot of legwork unless you plan well as it is a surprisingly large area (I suppose because Portsmouth / Southsea / Gosport etc have all merged together over the years and now basically trade as 'Portsmouth'!

The Leopold is no longer top dog as mentioned!
    You're absolutely right there although I know nothing about the Leopold! I wouldn't want to walk from the rail station to Southsea and won't as I've got a coffin-dodgers pass. I did find it odd that Southsea is a separate place on the site rather than part of Portsmouth but I'm not John Barrowman so don't want to make a song and dance about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I did find it odd that Southsea is a separate place on the site rather than part of Portsmouth
    It's because the site is based on postal towns. I assumed though that pubs in Southsea would also be fair game for this crawl?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    It's because the site is based on postal towns. I assumed though that pubs in Southsea would also be fair game for this crawl?
    I see what you're saying, postal towns rather than postcodes but surely the concept of a postal town has been lost in time or is there a list of them somewhere? I've always thought of Southsea as being part of Portsmouth.

This Space For Hire

Whatever the post office says, on the ground there is no distinction between Portsmouth and Southsea postal areas, the various areas of Southsea, Fratton, Landport, Old Portsmouth etc being localities in what is generally considered Portsmouth as a whole. Southsea tends to have the best concentration of better pubs, not least as the touristy parts of Portsmouth tend to be, ermm, touristy!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Whatever the post office says, on the ground there is no distinction between Portsmouth and Southsea postal areas, the various areas of Southsea, Fratton, Landport, Old Portsmouth etc being localities in what is generally considered Portsmouth as a whole. Southsea tends to have the best concentration of better pubs, not least as the touristy parts of Portsmouth tend to be, ermm, touristy!
    I should add that I'm not suggesting moving Southsea into Portsmouth on the site! It's not worth the effort.
    I agree with the above and the GBG lists more for Southsea than any other area.

This Space For Hire

OK, here is a putative crawl of some of the better pubs/beer selections in the area, based on recent experience and knowledge. Starting from Portsmouth & Southsea station and finishing up a walk from Fratton, or on good bus routes back to Southsea/Harbour.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel (JDW early start for those who do)
    Brewhouse & Kitchen
    Duke of Buckingham
    Dolphin
    (Pembroke optional)
    Hole in the Wall
    Barley Mow
    White Horse (Brewhouse)
    Wave Maiden
    Marmion
    (Lord Palmerston JDW optional)
    Phoenix
    (5th Hants Volunteers optional)
    Northcote
    Golden Eagle
    Rutland Arms
    Staggeringly Good Brewery tap
    (Optional continue to Rose in June)
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I should add that I'm not suggesting moving Southsea into Portsmouth on the site! It's not worth the effort.
    I agree with the above and the GBG lists more for Southsea than any other area.
    Good - Southsea started out as a seaside resort on the south coast of Portsea Island, filling the gap between (Old) Portsmouth and Eastney, and south of Somers Town (near the where the main Portsmouth & Southsea station now is - the name of which is itself enough to tell one that it is a separate place).

However, while its distinct character is obvious along the shore between Clarence Pier and Lumps Fort - by way of Southsea Common, Southsea Castle and the South Parade Pier - I certainly agree that it is now very difficult to draw definitive lines between Portsmouth city centre, Southsea, Fratton, etc. but they are still different places.