Ads not shown when logged in

View Poll Results: Where would you like to go on the Southern Crawl,Spring 2019 ?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bath

7 36.84%
  • Cambridge

7 36.84%
  • Canterbury

4 21.05%
  • Cardiff

9 47.37%
  • Chelmsford

8 42.11%
  • Chichester

3 15.79%
  • Lewes

2 10.53%
  • London

3 15.79%
  • Portsmouth

10 52.63%
  • Salisbury

5 26.32%
  • Southampton

3 15.79%
  • Tunbridge Wells

4 21.05%
  • Winchester

9 47.37%
  • Worthing

4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

There does seem to be a lot of support for Friday March 29th 2019 in Portsmouth so lets go for it.

No doubt there will be a lot of Brexit brews available on the day,assuming it actually happens
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    There does seem to be a lot of support for Friday March 29th 2019 in Portsmouth so lets go for it.

No doubt there will be a lot of Brexit brews available on the day,assuming it actually happens
    Fine by me.

I'm OK with it as long as someone brings the swear box. They have one on the morning Channel 5 Jeremy Vine show (formerly the Wright Stuff) and the word is that Alistair Campbell had to declare himself bankrupt after his appearance on it.

It's looking like the 29th March is favourite. I believe that SW trains only do advance tickets from their own web site. I don't think any will be available for that date until the new year. I've had a look at what's going for the random date of the 14th December and railcard advance tickets are £6.00 each way from Waterloo or £10.00 for an earlier faster train in the morning. That looks promising as the random date is only a couple of weeks away. From what I recall from the JDW tour morning trains from Waterloo are not very busy. An off peak day return with railcard is a silly £25.30. I can get to Glasgow for that sort of money!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I believe that SW trains only do advance tickets from their own web site.
    I've just found the same £6 fares on the TPE website! (Shame they're only from Waterloo - I get the feeling it'll be a bit dearer from Sheffield.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've just found the same £6 fares on the TPE website! (Shame they're only from Waterloo - I get the feeling it'll be a bit dearer from Sheffield.)
    I'm currently using TFW Rail for tickets as they have free postage and yes I'm a Luddite that prefers card tickets! I'll have to check to see if TFW Rail do them.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Portsmouth and Southampton used to be good targets for cheap fares (even £1ew) on Megatrain, but they don't do those routes any more.
    You could look out for options with them for the Sheff-London leg, Will, but not sure how far in advance they go on sale these days, used to be 6 weeks. You need an EMT deal to kick in...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Portsmouth and Southampton used to be good targets for cheap fares (even £1ew) on Megatrain, but they don't do those routes any more.
    You could look out for options with them for the Sheff-London leg, Will, but not sure how far in advance they go on sale these days, used to be 6 weeks.
    Only bus fares available so far for 29 March - and they involve getting to Meadowhall at 5:30am, so not really an option! I'll look again nearer the time.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    You need an EMT deal to kick in...
    I'm not holding my breath!
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Is it possible for some kind person with forum editing skills to change the title of this thread to something along the lines of Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019 ?

There is already useful information about the crawl on this thread and we haven't even begun discussing which pubs are worth visiting.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

There is already useful information about the crawl on this thread and we haven't even begun discussing which pubs are worth visiting.

IIRC Portsea Island is fairly long and thin, with the main shops and city centre in Landport, nothing much to the north or around Fratton and Milton.

A quick look at the GBG2019 suggests we might be best concentrating on Southsea, but certainly south of the railway line. I don't know the "don't miss" pubs.....anyone?