Ads not shown when logged in

View Poll Results: Where would you like to go on the Southern Crawl,Spring 2019 ?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bath

7 36.84%
  • Cambridge

7 36.84%
  • Canterbury

4 21.05%
  • Cardiff

9 47.37%
  • Chelmsford

8 42.11%
  • Chichester

3 15.79%
  • Lewes

2 10.53%
  • London

3 15.79%
  • Portsmouth

10 52.63%
  • Salisbury

5 26.32%
  • Southampton

3 15.79%
  • Tunbridge Wells

4 21.05%
  • Winchester

9 47.37%
  • Worthing

4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    My recollection is that the bar is (was) fairly small and to the right of the entrance, a pleasant, well-lit room, with the left hand room being the hotel dining room. A decent Harveys Sussex Best. (Incidentally, the prospect of meeting this beer in almost every pub may also have been a factor in the "nul points" scenario: not me, I hasten to add, I like it!)

Spring visit: Should think Harvey's XXXX Sussex Old Ale would be finished for the season. Haven't seen it yet this year.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The locals are probably brainwashed into (B)BB, and would only drink Ruddles and that watery IPA if a Spoons were to open anyway.
    Sorry, but that’s outright offensive - please think before posting.

I'm not sure which is worse - the pub being closed or the pub being given the JDW treatment. The latter is probably worse for the other pubs in Lewes (he said provocatively).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The locals are probably brainwashed into (B)BB, and would only drink Ruddles and that watery IPA if a Spoons were to open anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Sorry, but that’s outright offensive - please think before posting.

I think you should have perhaps made allowances for the provocation before having a go. I am as fed up as you with the use of the term "boring brown bitter", but I am sure that Moby only meant this reponse in a light hearted way.

It's all too easy to read online postings and think that they're meant more seriously than they are. A conversation in a pub, where one person prefers New England IPA, one likes a raspberry ripple milk shake IPA, one likes a milk stout and one, heaven help him, is into Black Sheep Bitter, takes on a different tone when it's all written down and can be read and re-read by a large online audience. We can give and take offence too easily.

Personally, I can tolerate almost anything, but the thing I just can't stand is that fruit-salad hop, Citra.
    Come On You Hatters!

Personally, I can tolerate almost anything, but the thing I just can't stand is that fruit-salad hop, Citra.
    Ouch. ( note humorous emoji, as in the devil emoji on earlier comment).
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I may have missed it, but have we actually fixed a date for this outing yet ?
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    That will be stage two of the process,although we could and maybe should start the discussion.Can I suggest sometime between Mid March and Mid April given that folk will need to book advanced train fares /hotel deals and in 2019 Good Friday is April 19th .

The venue choice poll closes on 18th Nov.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 14-11-2018 at 12:10.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I believe not but given that Easter is late it seems to me that there isn't much choice, probably the second weekend in March through to the first weekend in April. I've ruled out the first weekend in March due to not very fond memories of the Beast From The East this year. The second weekend in April would be the one before Easter which might affect rail travel. May would mean contending with Bank Holidays and would be very close to summer.

Edit: I posted this before swing BF's answer, but we seem to more or less agree.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 14-11-2018 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Can I suggest sometime between Mid March and Mid April given that folk will need to book advanced train fares /hotel deals and in 2019 Good Friday is April 19th .
    There doesn't seem much point in discussing dates until the venue's been sorted.

Brighton was Friday, 23rd March. Train tickets for 22nd March 2019 will go on sale first week of January, by my reckoning.
    Come On You Hatters!

Train tickets for 22nd March 2019 will go on sale first week of January, by my reckoning.
    If you're lucky, these tickets are still in a state of turmoil and I've only just got my first tickets for 2019 which are in the second week of January. The venue will be finalised on Sunday and it looks highly unlikely to me that it won't be Portsmouth. For those who need expensive Southern hotels the rapid finalisation of the date could save them lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    the rapid finalisation of the date could save them lots of money.
    And more importantly actually mean some of us can make it.. My diary for March is already under assault and the first two Fridays are already booked out by my better half who thinks that there is more to life than Ale....
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde