Ads not shown when logged in

View Poll Results: Where would you like to go on the Southern Crawl,Spring 2019 ?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bath

7 36.84%
  • Cambridge

7 36.84%
  • Canterbury

4 21.05%
  • Cardiff

9 47.37%
  • Chelmsford

8 42.11%
  • Chichester

3 15.79%
  • Lewes

2 10.53%
  • London

3 15.79%
  • Portsmouth

10 52.63%
  • Salisbury

5 26.32%
  • Southampton

3 15.79%
  • Tunbridge Wells

4 21.05%
  • Winchester

9 47.37%
  • Worthing

4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Surely the point was that we did Brighton in Spring 2018, thus potentially ruling out Lewes and Worthing as being too repetitive because too soon, whereas Bristol was in 2014, if memory serves, so that Bath would only be slightly repetitive because not so soon.
    But there's nothing wrong with Stockport & Manchester less than a year apart?

This Space For Hire

Surely the point was that we did Brighton in Spring 2018, thus potentially ruling out Lewes and Worthing as being too repetitive because too soon, whereas Bristol was in 2014, if memory serves, so that Bath would only be slightly repetitive because not so soon.

Good point but Portsmouth is coastal and we only did Brighton earlier this year, 40 miles east; Southampton is virtually the same place as Portsmouth though the distance between the two is almost half that between Bristol and Bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Southampton is virtually the same place as Portsmouth
    I don't suggest you try saying that in Pompey or (if you pardon the expression) Scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Done the decent by Lewes! I like the town,but don't think I've had a drink there since 1979. Done more in the outlying villages.
    Thanks I would have voted for it myself if I knew everyone would ignore it. I prefer it to Brighton by a long way. In 1979 I believe only one of the pubs was owned by Harveys and that was the Swan. All the other pubs selling Harveys beers were Beards pubs (now mostly GK). I presume people didn't vote for it as there may not be enough outlets for a PUG crawl plus the possibility that they've all been there before.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    But there's nothing wrong with Stockport & Manchester less than a year apart?
    Apparently not, since you appear to be the first person to have mentioned it!
    Come On You Hatters!

I presume people didn't vote for it as there may not be enough outlets for a PUG crawl plus the possibility that they've all been there before.
    Those, and the train journey, may have influenced people.

I did half a dozen pubs in Lewes four years ago, including the now reportedly closed Crown, though I did not review them as I was drinking with friends and preferred to join in the conversation. I think our favourites were the Black Horse and the Lewes Arms, though there was nothing wrong, as I recall, with the Brewers Arms, the John Harvey and the Gardeners. I wouldn't mind going back some time, as there were others that we didn't have time for that I would have liked to do. Some of the reviews of Lewes pubs on this site are getting a bit long in the tooth, and your review of the Volunteer is not particularly encouraging!
    Come On You Hatters!

your review of the Volunteer is not particularly encouraging!
    I would hope so as it was rubbish! I think that the loss of Beards to GK and the demise of K&B (two pubs) have made the place less attractive.
    I've never been in the Crown but the What Pub entry is the first I've ever heard about JDW taking it over!

I've never been in the Crown but the What Pub entry is the first I've ever heard about JDW taking it over!
    My recollection is that the bar is (was) fairly small and to the right of the entrance, a pleasant, well-lit room, with the left hand room being the hotel dining room. A decent Harveys Sussex Best. (Incidentally, the prospect of meeting this beer in almost every pub may also have been a factor in the "nul points" scenario: not me, I hasten to add, I like it!)

I'm not sure which is worse - the pub being closed or the pub being given the JDW treatment. The latter is probably worse for the other pubs in Lewes (he said provocatively).
    Come On You Hatters!

A decent Harveys Sussex Best. (Incidentally, the prospect of meeting this beer in almost every pub may also have been a factor in the "nul points" scenario: not me, I hasten to add, I like it!)
    It was a factor for me, a pints fine, but not all day.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'm not sure which is worse - the pub being closed or the pub being given the JDW treatment. The latter is probably worse for the other pubs in Lewes (he said provocatively).
    The locals are probably brainwashed into (B)BB, and would only drink Ruddles and that watery IPA if a Spoons were to open anyway.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields