Ads not shown when logged in

View Poll Results: Where would you like to go on the Southern Crawl,Spring 2019 ?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bath

7 36.84%
  • Cambridge

7 36.84%
  • Canterbury

4 21.05%
  • Cardiff

9 47.37%
  • Chelmsford

8 42.11%
  • Chichester

3 15.79%
  • Lewes

2 10.53%
  • London

3 15.79%
  • Portsmouth

10 52.63%
  • Salisbury

5 26.32%
  • Southampton

3 15.79%
  • Tunbridge Wells

4 21.05%
  • Winchester

9 47.37%
  • Worthing

4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Is it possible for some kind person with forum editing skills to change the title of this thread to something along the lines of Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019 ?
    Done. Unfortunately, that's probably it as far as my contribution to the day goes.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    A quick look at the GBG2019 suggests we might be best concentrating on Southsea, but certainly south of the railway line. I don't know the "don't miss" pubs.....anyone?
    I haven't done Portsmouth for at least 20 years so looking forward to this one..

From a bit of research to see what might be in store the following popped up but I am sure those with more recent experience of the town can agree or deny..
    The Leopold
    Hole in the Wall
    The Barley Mow
    The Phoenix
    The Lawrence Arms

With these of interest also:
    The Wave Maiden
    Belle Isle
    Porters
    The Northcote
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    From a bit of research to see what might be in store the following popped up but I am sure those with more recent experience of the town can agree or deny..
    The Leopold
    Hole in the Wall
    The Barley Mow
    The Phoenix
    My only time in Portsmouth/Southsea was when the Hatters played there in early January 2017. I visited these four (plus The Florence Arms and the Duke Of Devonshire) but didn't write any reviews as I was with my football mates, but I can remember finding them very much as described in the (at that time, recent) reviews by Leigh and others. However, the Leopold changed hands soon after - the long-standing tenants were incensed by the massive rent rise imposed on them by Enterprise - and it is no longer the temple to cask ale that it was two years ago.
    Come On You Hatters!

Strangely for a town the size of Portsmouth, it doesn't seem to have caught up with the micro pub explosion yet and is virginal in that respect..

However the Southsea Brewing Co is planning to open the first one in January
    https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/bu...pubs-1-8617840

This may be a bit too far east in Eastney and there doesn't seem a lot else worthwhile going out in this direction with the possible exception of Sir Loin of Beef
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

My reason for nominating Portsmouth was to visit the Hole In The Wall which I think I visited in the 1970s.
    I've only been to the JDWs in recent years and would have thought that just the IKB near the station and the Lord Palmerston in Southsea would be the only viable ones. The IKB is a madhouse if busy. The Palmerston is a Lloyds but one of the better ones and probably my favourite in the area.
    I think I've been to all the old Gales outlets but don't even remember where they are now apart from the one near the ferry.

I got a bus from the station to Southsea as it looked a long walk to me but the Palmerston is on the Southern side of Southsea.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Cross-Country go to Southampton (but not sure if from Sheffield), so you may be able to get to the South Coast on a cheap-ish ticket, although it's likely to take many hours. Southampton - Portsmouth is, hopefully, not too expensive.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I haven't done Portsmouth for at least 20 years so looking forward to this one..

The Leopold
    Hole in the Wall
    The Barley Mow
    The Phoenix
    The Lawrence Arms

With these of interest also:
    The Wave Maiden
    Belle Isle
    Porters
    The Northcote
    Not sure about The Leopold , for reasons Will mentions. The following four were excellent on my visits over the last couple of years. Of the remaining four I've not been to The Wave Maiden or Belle Isle, I wasn't convinced with Porters but The Northcote Was Ok.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Cross-Country go to Southampton (but not sure if from Sheffield), so you may be able to get to the South Coast on a cheap-ish ticket, although it's likely to take many hours. Southampton - Portsmouth is, hopefully, not too expensive.
    I think you would have to change at Brum but may be wrong. I can't imagine it's all that feasible as a day trip from Sheffield.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I think you would have to change at Brum but may be wrong.
    Thanks for your concern, guys! Yes, there is a direct service from Sheffield to Southampton, and sometimes it makes sense to split the journey - or at least the ticket - at Birmingham, but I think that going via London may be both cheaper and (slightly) quicker. I'll wait and see when tickets become available in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I can't imagine it's all that feasible as a day trip from Sheffield.
    That's why I didn't vote for Portsmouth (or all the other crazy southern destinations you lunatics put forward)! But if you think that's going to stop me, you've got another think coming. (BTW I'm thinking of starting a new thread, about Sheffield really being in the midlands rather than the north. #geographygalore.)

And I definitely won't be doing a pre-crawl reconnaissance this time...
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    BTW I'm thinking of starting a new thread, about Sheffield really being in the midlands rather than the north.
    It can't possibly be in the Midlands as it's North of Chesterfield which is in the North!