Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Pint of order: MPs must pay 'high street' prices in Commons bars"

I think I read yesterday that the expected beer price would be £2.10p per pint. I can buy a well respected pint from a small brewery for £2.00 ( £1.70p between 5pm>7pm ). My other locals charge £2.30p> £2.50p for real ale. Lager £2.80 >£3.00. Keg beer sorry dont know. I do know that these prices are appreciably cheaper than those charged south of Oxford and on into the capitol. My small town does not have a JDWs but if you pick the right pub you can still find a ( relative ) bargain.
    The question is which part of the country will supply the bench mark prices ?

As for perks MPs have far to many and are called expenses which can amount to far more than some hard workers annual wage. Dont ask me to give the bas***ds any leeway.Any ordinary person would have gone to prison or at least ended with a criminal record ruining future employment chances had they committed fraud and embezzlement on the scale of many MPs efforts. For so long they have considered that the laws of the land do not affect them. Lets start with doing away with Parliamentary Privilege which has become a licence to abuse the system . I do not have faith in any committees set up to police the system. Would you let habitual criminals sit in judgement on their fellow wrong doers ?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    As for perks MPs have far to many and are called expenses which can amount to far more than some hard workers annual wage. Dont ask me to give the bas***ds any leeway.Any ordinary person would have gone to prison or at least ended with a criminal record ruining future employment chances had they committed fraud and embezzlement on the scale of many MPs efforts. For so long they have considered that the laws of the land do not affect them. Lets start with doing away with Parliamentary Privilege which has become a licence to abuse the system . I do not have faith in any committees set up to police the system. Would you let habitual criminals sit in judgement on their fellow wrong doers ?
    Agree parliamentary privilege should be dismissed, and some of the crimes relating to house flipping, and selling houses on to family members should be pursued as if nothing else this is defrauding the tax man. As to the pay issue, MPs are paid less than equivalent jobs in industry, which makes me think the only people who would ever go for it are people who like the idea of power, it just seems like in many ways we are inviting a corrupt system, should we be surprised when we get it.

As to expenses, I have seen so many dodgy things done in the name of expenses it just seems silly to be angry when MPs do it, as far as I can tell 90% of people who can claim expenses will stick their noses in the trough. Even silly things like paying for all your business expenses using a personal credit card then using all the free airmiles on yourself, a perk of sorts. It comes back to the old adage that the only thing the MPs are guilty of is getting caught.

And if they get caught can I hang them High and Dry ?......Please......Pretty Please

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well Public Lynching may be the way to get them to behave, certainly would get my vote.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Even silly things like paying for all your business expenses using a personal credit card then using all the free airmiles on yourself, a perk of sorts.
    The Airmiles thing happens in my place as well (the financial sector) and hacks me off, probably because I don't get the chance to travel on business much. Some of our senior management seem to be jetting off on business trips with obscene regularity and we've always got one or two people kicking around our office who are 'visiting' for a few days. We were even invited to put all our airline and hotel loyalty card details into our travel booking system. I've heard in the past of people getting free flights and hotel stays to take their family holiday on the back of business travel.

I did suggest that these loyalty perks are pooled and distributed the the lower paid workers - they're still thinking about it!
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

My first full-time job was for a large IT consultancy firm that no longer exists. It was an eye opener and an education into the working world for me, although many of my colleagues kindly helped me by explaining how to fill out an expense claim form when working on client site (I'll leave that to your imagination).

The truth is I don't know how you solve it though, although I do like your suggestion Millay. Trouble is the overpaid ******'s would just lie to avoid donating anything to their minions.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    the overpaid ******'s
    Reported to apostrophe police.