Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Pint of order: MPs must pay 'high street' prices in Commons bars"

Default "Pint of order: MPs must pay 'high street' prices in Commons bars"

In these days of austerity, this is a bit of overdue news via the BBC News website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10388683.stm

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Good news unless you happen to be the firms catering for the House of Commons, but it is right that they shouldn't have exceptional treatment.

"bar prices into line with a competitively priced high street pub chain. " JDW then....after the CAMRA discount

"snouts in trough" smiley please.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    "bar prices into line with a competitively priced high street pub chain. " JDW then....after the CAMRA discount

"snouts in trough" smiley please.
    In a statement, it pledged to "bring cafeteria prices into line with benchmark workplace venues and bar prices into line with a competitively priced high street pub chain. Wetherspoons Prices My thoughs Exactly Plus with a Vat a & Tax exemption as well no doubt.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Subsidised drinking, normal licensing laws not applicable, stressful job. Is it any wonder they all drink like fish? Sian Lloyd, after being unceremoniously dumped by Lembit Opik, was none too impressed when she wrote in her book of memoirs- A Funny Kind Of Love:

'The amount of alcohol MPs of all parties drank blew my mind.'
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Funny how we all homed in on the "bar prices into line with a competitively priced high street pub chain" AKA JDW

Shameless the lot of them

PS No idea what price HP bar is, would it not be complete irony if the prices actually went down and the subsidy up

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

On a bit of a tangent, this reminds me of my sense of outrage when the very people who voted for a smoking ban for everyone else somehow exempted themselves from the ban.

When Introduced in July 2007, it encompassed every enclosed and substantially enclosed public space in the country with the only exceptions being those spaces classed as peoples homes and the bar in the houses of parliament.
    This, I believe, left homes (understandable), prisons (understandable) and the bar in the Houses of Parliament, which is not only beyond understanding, it is frankly an incitement to riot.

(I speak as a non-smoker, btw)
    And you can really taste the hops!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    This, I believe, left homes (understandable), prisons (understandable) and the bar in the Houses of Parliament,
    To use prison terminology, would this be another case of ‘snouts’ in the trough (I'll get me coat)
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire

One does wonder how much of this is tabloid stirring. If I worked there (remember MPs are far outnumbered by ordinary staff, many poorly paid) I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to pay high street prices when friends working elsewhere have cheap staff social clubs.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I agree with Nick

For some reason I just am not really bothered by this story, it is sensible that they should pay for it, but happy for it to be price matched with JDW or some such, lots of jobs have perks, as long as they are not breaking the law or the spirit of the perk (I hated the house flipping stuff) then it is just part of the job. Also agree with EG about the hypocrisy of the smoking ban exemption (first time I had heard that story) and again this is from a rabid non-smoker.