Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore crawls 2019

Default Pubs Galore crawls 2019

I think there was a general consensus that it was about time the North got a summer crawl, so we need to decide whether it's the South in spring (we did Brighton in March 2018) or the Midlands.

And also what constitutes the South and what the Midlands. (Takes cover to avoid torrent of rotten tomatoes and long-past-sell-by-date broccoli.)

Just to get things started, have we ever considered Peterborough? Not sure whether it's south or midlands, but it's very well connected (very quick from London, pretty good from the north, not so good from the west) and has an interesting selection of pubs. On recent visits I've done these: Charters, Palmerston Arms, The Coalheavers Arms, The Woolpack, The Stoneworks, The Bumble Inn, and there's also The Ostrich, The Brewery Tap, Great Northern Hotel (opinions vary about these three), and there's also a 'Spoons, for those who like that sort of thing.

A little further north on the same railway line, and unequivocally in the Midlands, is Newark, which I think has had mentions before on these threads but never quite made it through the polling process. It has the merit of being relatively easy to access for our southern-based friends and, for those who don't find the half mile walk from the station daunting, a fairly compact town centre. And a burgeoning real ale scene. Try these: The Prince Rupert, Just Beer, The Flying Circus, The Ram, The Fox & Crown, The Roaring Meg, The Organ Grinder, The Castle Barge, The Vaults, and of course a 'Spoons.

Discuss.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think there was a general consensus that it was about time the North got a summer crawl, so we need to decide whether it's the South in spring (we did Brighton in March 2018) or the Midlands.

And also what constitutes the South and what the Midlands. (Takes cover to avoid torrent of rotten tomatoes and long-past-sell-by-date broccoli.)

Just to get things started, have we ever considered Peterborough? Not sure whether it's south or midlands, but it's very well connected (very quick from London, pretty good from the north, not so good from the west) and has an interesting selection of pubs. On recent visits I've done these: Charters, Palmerston Arms, The Coalheavers Arms, The Woolpack, The Stoneworks, The Bumble Inn, and there's also The Ostrich, The Brewery Tap, Great Northern Hotel (opinions vary about these three), and there's also a 'Spoons, for those who like that sort of thing.

A little further north on the same railway line, and unequivocally in the Midlands, is Newark, which I think has had mentions before on these threads but never quite made it through the polling process. It has the merit of being relatively easy to access for our southern-based friends and, for those who don't find the half mile walk from the station daunting, a fairly compact town centre. And a burgeoning real ale scene. Try these: The Prince Rupert, Just Beer, The Flying Circus, The Ram, The Fox & Crown, The Roaring Meg, The Organ Grinder, The Castle Barge, The Vaults, and of course a 'Spoons.

Discuss.
    Peterborough is certainly Midlands, and a quick look at what the advanced train tickets would likely be for me barring any further price increase is around £42.00, 2 hrs 45 mins each way, so doable.
    Without looking into it any further yet, It's a thought.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A couple of thoughts for the next time we go South either Spring or summer, these are not dyed in the wool suggestions as in some cases others will know better than I.
    Would there be enough beer diversity in Canterbury? Maybe JAQPTIO would know, I think Real Ale Ray and Fiona were there a couple of years ago .
    Portsmouth/Southsea, , a lot of good looking trad pubs, and last time I was there about a year ago the beer scene seemed to be picking up.
    Southampton, there are some good pubs and beer to be had but they all seem to be spread as far as possible apart from each other in most cases.
    Salisbury, again nice town but lacking in beer variety IMO. Canterbury would interest me but could do with some local /recent knowledge to confirm its worth consideration.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

As I recall nobody objexted to your suggestion. It makes sense as if the weather is hot in theory it won't be so bad up North.

It is the turn of the South and I would call Peterborough the Midlands but it's arguably a borderline case given that it's in Cambridgeshire. It's also got two Spoons but one is a Lloyds. I'd be prepared to accept it as a South venue plus one that may not be so obvious is Cardiff. There was some talk of Portsmouth in another thread so what about Southampton?

It looks like my post has crossed with Moby's!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Would there be enough beer diversity in Canterbury? Maybe JAQPTIO would know, I think Real Ale Ray and Fiona were there a couple of years ago .
    I went there to do the Spoons and managed around half a dozen other venues. They were generally OK. I've only been to the JDW in Salisbury over the last few years. It's not good for travelling apart from London or the SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    As I recall nobody objexted to your suggestion. It makes sense as if the weather is hot in theory it won't be so bad up North.

It is the turn of the South and I would call Peterborough the Midlands but it's arguably a borderline case given that it's in Cambridgeshire. It's also got two Spoons but one is a Lloyds. I'd be prepared to accept it as a South venue plus one that may not be so obvious is Cardiff. There was some talk of Portsmouth in another thread so what about Southampton?
    Cardiff is the only South venue I am likely to reach (so far). It is still half an hour quicker from London.
    Someone in Wales has invented the wheel. That might improve things but I don't think it will work!

The Midland "beasts from the East" are probably out for me with four changes of horses and returning before 6pm

It is the turn of the South and I would call Peterborough the Midlands but it's arguably a borderline case given that it's in Cambridgeshire.
    Yes and probably no not borderline.

I'd be prepared to accept it (Peterborough) as a South venue plus one that may not be so obvious is Cardiff. There was some talk of Portsmouth in another thread so what about Southampton?
    Peterborough is easy for most people as it's ECML, but I'd really consider it Midlands as it's roughly the same latitude as Birmingham (52½º N), Stamford is nice but not as easy to get to. Cardiff could be interesting and probably a whole lot better than Southampton where I believe these days the good pubs are on the outskirts but I stand to be corrected. Winchester might be a possibility and I like Salisbury even though it's "not as good as it used to be"; it isn't that hard to get to if you don't mind changing at Basingstoke (and maybe Reading as well if coming from the Midlands/North). Many decades since I went drinking in Pompey so I wouldn't mind re-acquainting myself with it. No idea about Canterbury or anywhere else in Kent for that matter, and Surrey and Sussex are a bit mysterious to me too. Also springing to mind are Bath, Lewes, Chichester, Cambridge (unless it's now wall to wall GK), I suppose the south-west is a bit far?

Is there anywhere just north of London worth thinking about? (Preferably on the ECML )

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

Is there anywhere just north of London worth thinking about? (Preferably on the ECML )
    I can't think of anywhere. It's all commuter towns but it might be possible to join a few of them together. With a lot of these places the rail stations are a fair walk from the town centres.

There's probably a crawl to be done in the Camden part of London but it would be busy and probably expensive pubs.

There's also a crawl of SE London micropubs to be done but it's not really suitable for a PUG crawl and if the buses get caught up in traffic it could wreck it. It would also be better on a Saturday.

I'm swerving any arguments about where Peterborough is!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I suppose the south-west is a bit far?
    I can't think of anywhere suitable for a PUG crawl. Exeter doesn't have much to offer nor does Taunton or Plymouth. If Newton Abbot was chosen then I would spend the whole day in the cider house! Anywhere in Cornwall is an epic journey even from London.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Would there be enough beer diversity in Canterbury? Maybe JAQPTIO would know, I think Real Ale Ray and Fiona were there a couple of years ago.
    Quite a few pubs in Canterbury, and mostly within a sensible walking distance from the East or West stations, but you might need to like Shepherd Neame and you won't find a wide choice in most other places apart from the two 'spoons. Good place as a base for a weekend break for its heritage and visiting the North / East Kent coast micropubs, but perhaps not for a full-day crawl.