Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore crawls 2019

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Mrs Ale here - loved Canterbury, but not that impressed with the pubs there, maybe as not keen on Shepherd Neame beers. The micro was very good though. Likewise Salisbury, not great for pubs either. Really liked Chelmsford, but that was a few years ago, so I imagine it's even better now.

Tunbridge Wells sounds good...
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Cambridge (unless it's now wall to wall GK)
    I stayed in Cambridge last year and took myself on a little pub tour of about 9 pubs, only one of those being Greene King. A mix of traditional boozers, modern bars and serious real ale pubs. Happy to put a list together if anyone is interested. There were easily another couple I would have been tempted to visit, had time permitted, so am pretty sure you hardcore lot could make a day of it.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Mrs Ale here - loved Canterbury, but not that impressed with the pubs there, maybe as not keen on Shepherd Neame beers. The micro was very good though. Likewise Salisbury, not great for pubs either. Really liked Chelmsford, but that was a few years ago, so I imagine it's even better now.

Tunbridge Wells sounds good...
    But presumably Tunbridge Wells is also going to be Shepherd Neame groundhog day? However, when I briefly lived in Sevenoaks, my Kentish ex was saddened by the lack of Kentish ale so perhaps it's not wall-to-wall Sheps in Tunbridge Wells either; pretty too.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Camden would be a good crawl if we extended it into Highgate.Loads of good pubs but maybe they have been done by too many pubgalorees already.
    As you say, many of the area's pubs have been widely reviewed and those in Camden Town will be jammed with the predictable crowd on a Friday/Saturday night.

For a London crawl, how about central Hackney going west into central Islington?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yes and probably no not borderline.

Peterborough is easy for most people as it's ECML, but I'd really consider it Midlands as it's roughly the same latitude as Birmingham (52½º N), Stamford is nice but not as easy to get to. Cardiff could be interesting and probably a whole lot better than Southampton where I believe these days the good pubs are on the outskirts but I stand to be corrected. Winchester might be a possibility and I like Salisbury even though it's "not as good as it used to be"; it isn't that hard to get to if you don't mind changing at Basingstoke (and maybe Reading as well if coming from the Midlands/North). Many decades since I went drinking in Pompey so I wouldn't mind re-acquainting myself with it. No idea about Canterbury or anywhere else in Kent for that matter, and Surrey and Sussex are a bit mysterious to me too. Also springing to mind are Bath, Lewes, Chichester, Cambridge (unless it's now wall to wall GK), I suppose the south-west is a bit far?

Is there anywhere just north of London worth thinking about? (Preferably on the ECML )
    Are naval cities good for pubs? Bath or Cambridge could be good and attractive too but Chichester has very few pubs; we'd pretty much have to do all of them. There's a lot of choice in Norwich but it's very far east.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    For a London crawl, how about central Hackney going west into central Islington?
    That one has been done being billed as a 38 bus crawl. I didn't go but if I remember rightly it started at Clapton and worked through Hackney then a 38 bus towards Islington.

We now seem to have 13 possibilities :-

Peterborough
    Canterbury
    Portsmouth
    Southampton
    Chelmsford
    Cardiff
    Bath
    Lewes
    Chichester
    Cambridge
    Tunbridge Wells
    London
    Winchester

Personally I don't think Chichester has enough, it was OK when it had Gales outlets and a K&B one. According to the History of Pug crawls London has had several visits. Winchester and Bath have also been done. If Peterborough is excluded for being in the Midlands then that is whittled down to 8, Canterbury, Portsmouth, Southampton, Chelmsford, Cardiff, Lewes, Cambridge and Tunbridge Wells which I believe is the correct number for a poll. Personally I'd rather see Peterborough included instead of Lewes which is largely Harvey's pubs and I believe most of the former Beard's pubs are GK.

As for dates Easter is late next year which would leave all weekends in March (I'm already booked for the first one) and the first two in April (first one nearly booked). I'm guessing that most people will want the Friday rather than Saturday.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 25-10-2018 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    We now seem to have 13 possibilities :-

Peterborough
    Canterbury
    Portsmouth
    Southampton
    Chelmsford
    Cardiff
    Bath
    Lewes
    Chichester
    Cambridge
    Tunbridge Wells
    London
    Winchester

Personally I don't think Chichester has enough, it was OK when it had Gales outlets and a K&B one. According to the History of Pug crawls London has had several visits. Winchester and Bath have also been done. If Peterborough is excluded for being in the Midlands then that is whittled down to 8, Canterbury, Portsmouth, Southampton, Chelmsford, Cardiff, Lewes, Cambridge and Tunbridge Wells which I believe is the correct number for a poll. Personally I'd rather see Peterborough included instead of Lewes which is largely Harvey's pubs and I believe most of the former Beard's pubs are GK.

As for dates Easter is late next year which would leave all weekends in March (I'm already booked for the first one) and the first two in April (first one nearly booked). I'm guessing that most people will want the Friday rather than Saturday.
    Probably a few non runners in that list, but lets get a poll together in the near future, Saturdays are always better for me ,not least in the travel cost as well as work pressure, but I think I'm in the minority there.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    As you say, many of the area's pubs have been widely reviewed and those in Camden Town will be jammed with the predictable crowd on a Friday/Saturday night.

We have kind of done that area..Could have a good crawl around Brentford and Hanwell.Micros.heritage pubs,multi tap pubs a new build and even a few gbg pubs thown in the mix.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Probably a few non runners in that list, but lets get a poll together in the near future, Saturdays are always better for me ,not least in the travel cost as well as work pressure, but I think I'm in the minority there.
    minority of two