Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cashless card only pubs

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Is there not still a law prohibiting the purchase of alcohol on credit? So a debit card is fine but a credit card would be illegal?
    No. I'd hate to see the kerfuffle in supermarket checkouts if there was.

And was there ever? You've surely always been able to pay by credit card in restaurants. And settle hotel bills.
    Diners Club?
    Last edited by NickDavies; 16-10-2018 at 19:20.

Pretty sure it was illegal at one time to sell alcohol on credit, possibly repealed once credit or "charge" cards (Diners/Amex) became widely available. It may date back to the various Defence of the Realm Acts where for example "treating" (buying rounds) was illegal or been part of anti-truck laws.

Just Missed the Round

Öl Nano Brewery & Bar can be added to the "no cash" list.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Pretty sure it was illegal at one time to sell alcohol on credit, possibly repealed once credit or "charge" cards (Diners/Amex) became widely available. It may date back to the various Defence of the Realm Acts where for example "treating" (buying rounds) was illegal or been part of anti-truck laws.
    I found this article from 2003:

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...to-drinks-sale

Seems that like so many things, it is open to interpretation and in this case how you choose to define "credit".

brewdog canary wharf and clerkenwell
    Last edited by hondo; 21-10-2018 at 07:40.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

The pub curmudgeon tweeted that Sam Smiths -the Bird in Hand Mobberely has stopped taking cards as of today. So there will be somewhere for the Luddites to drink after all.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

No cash accepted at all in Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room they didn't even have a price list anywhere either!
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    No cash accepted at all in Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room they didn't even have a price list anywhere either!
    If I remember rightly with Cloudwater, they have a "fixed price" of £3 per drink with the size of the dispense varying depending on (presumably) the strength of that drink. So for example a 1/3 pint of an Imperial Stout at 11% may set you back £3, but that same £3 would get you a 1/2 pint of a 6% beer, or for lower strengths your £3 may get you 2/3 or a full pint. I seem to recall the "all drinks £3" is in fairly small writing at the top of the menu and is easy to miss.

Obviously if you deviate away from the recommended serve the price will adjust accordingly (and presumably proportionally).

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    If I remember rightly with Cloudwater, they have a "fixed price" of £3 per drink with the size of the dispense varying depending on (presumably) the strength of that drink. So for example a 1/3 pint of an Imperial Stout at 11% may set you back £3, but that same £3 would get you a 1/2 pint of a 6% beer, or for lower strengths your £3 may get you 2/3 or a full pint. I seem to recall the "all drinks £3" is in fairly small writing at the top of the menu and is easy to miss.

Obviously if you deviate away from the recommended serve the price will adjust accordingly (and presumably proportionally).
    I stand corrected Rob, looking again at the leaflet we took away with us, it does say 'All Cloudwater Beers £3', but it is in small writing and easily missed.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire

Just checked Twitter on a few pubs I will be visiting tomorrow night in Brixton and one of my favourites the Crown and Anchor only takes cards.Lucky I checked.