Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cashless card only pubs

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Was in the Beer Boutique Putney last night and ordered a third of the only beer I could afford Kernal -green hop 3.1 £2.45.The barman told me when I tried to pay with cash that they had stopped cash only this week.After I told him I didn't have a card the only other customer in the pub sat at the bar told the barman to stick it on his bill and he would pay for it.Nice guy but I compromised by giving him the money and he paid on his card.Sorted but I think this is going to get more common and I will have to reluctantly start taking a card out with me Lost a credit card 3 weeks ago and lost my debit card last week so not happy about this payment change.
    Had the situation in UBREW earlier this year, knew it was card only from an earlier visit so was prepared with my card, but the banks had a problem and the card machines were not working, they took cash soon enough.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I think this is outrageous. I have cards but would have told the barman where to stick it. I can't see this happening anywhere other than trendy bars which I try and avoid. However, I would gladly go to places like this and order the most expensive drink available just so I could walk out and tell them where to go when they declined cash.
    In five years time this will be the norm. How many banks will be around for them to pay the cash into.Anyway the savings they made by going cashless was why the beer from Garage brewery(Barcelona) was only £12 a pint

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Had the situation in UBREW earlier this year, knew it was card only from an earlier visit so was prepared with my card, but the banks had a problem and the card machines were not working, they took cash soon enough.
    My bold, I did wonder how such places went on when the banks' card payments go down, which seems becoming fairly common lately

Would it be wise to get hold of a preloaded card, one to limit any fraud & also just in case it is lost, nicked or cloned?
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    My bold, I did wonder how such places went on when the banks' card payments go down, which seems becoming fairly common lately

Would it be wise to get hold of a preloaded card, one to limit any fraud & also just in case it is lost, nicked or cloned?
    As mentioned by others, I don't think this is legal. It's obligatory to accept legal tender; cards can be refused but I think any shop would be treading on very thin ice if it refused to take cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    As mentioned by others, I don't think this is legal. It's obligatory to accept legal tender; cards can be refused but I think any shop would be treading on very thin ice if it refused to take cash.
    I'm not sure that pubs come under the same rules as shops. I thought a pub could refuse to serve anyone without having to justify their actions.

This Space For Hire

Legal tender urban myth.... there is no obligation for shops to accept cash.

"Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. "

https://www.royalmint.com/help/trm-f...ender-amounts/

I just thought I'd pull these posts out of the random thread as it intrigues me enough to warrant a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    In five years time this will be the norm
    I'm inclined to agree. I hadn't realised just how relatively cheap card payments had become.

Is it worth starting a "Hall Of Shame" of venues that do this?

I'll stay on me own

I read in the local press today that Small Bar has become the first pub in Bristol to go card only.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/b...t-city-2090688

Perhaps we need a new filter set up - “takes cash”!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post

Perhaps we need a new filter set up - “takes cash”!

Could be useful.There are some people who for whatever reason don't wish to create an electronic record of exactly where they have been.............................................. ....my credibility locally would be shot if I was found out to be a regular at a Mc Mullens pub
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson