Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Cashless card only pubs

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I have just entered Cork & Cage on Pershore Road, Stirchley Birmingham as a new bar, and it is cashless. Paid by card, asked for a receipt and was told no receipt unless I can send it to you by e-mail. No cask beers but 10 craft beers.

Decided to go to page 1 and read all the posts, very interesting. Someone told me cashless is because they don't have to carry a lot of takings to a bank nightly. Can understand this in places where local banks are closing I suppose.

I am not getting a receipt by e-mail - don't want to go down that route and was lucky as my half only cost £2.50 .. .. only did I really say that .. .. One beer in that bar was £4.80 for a third of 4.8% It was a Belgian Gueuze type though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    From Hondo's UK Cards Association link:

"For contactless payments for £30 and under, a receipt will not automatically be printed for you. However, you can always ask for a receipt, and the retailer must give you one if you ask. For contactless payments over £30, the retailer must always print a receipt for you.

If you are paying at an unattended terminal, like at a vending machine, the process is slightly different. To make a payment, simply select the goods you wish to purchase and when the amount is shown touch your contactless card or device against the terminal. You will not be provided with a receipt but you can see this transaction on your card statement."
    So , was the response to Gill at the Cork & Cage wrong, or does the e-mail receipt cover the legal requirement?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Why wouldn't it be?

Think of London buses and tubes. Imagine the flap if people could demand a receipt when they enter/leave the system.
    I see what you're getting at but the London transport system doesn't have the history and reputation of ripping you off that the pub trade has.
    Card payments are a fantastic opportunity for the numerous crooks in the licensed trade to increase their ill gotten gains.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    So , was the response to Gill at the Cork & Cage wrong, or does the e-mail receipt cover the legal requirement?
    I was told he couldn't give me a receipt but could send one by e-mail. I chose not to give him my e-mail address therefore I presume, accepted that I would not get a receipt. Would certainly not like to be in such a pub buying a few rounds without receipts.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Is that a legally enforceable requirement, or just a code of practice. If the former, perhaps someone could produce the relevant Act.

This Space For Hire

If you use a credit card are you actually paying the bill or is it the credit card company that are paying?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    If you use a credit card are you actually paying the bill or is it the credit card company that are paying?
    The card company pays, then sucks the dosh back from you

Hence Section 75 claims over £100, the card company is considered to be joint supplier of the goods
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Is it worth starting a "Hall Of Shame" of venues that do this?
    One of my favorite Manchester bars, The Knott Bar under Deansgate Station stops taking cash from May 1st. Not sure that I an happy to still go there!

I can see Aqualung becoming a keen Sam Smiths drinker. Cash sales ONLY! No mobile phones! Beer at £2/pint (oop north at least).
    No swearing of course, but as long as you do not ask for a top up! Humphrey rules OK!
    Last edited by AlanH; 13-04-2019 at 19:43.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    One of my favorite Manchester bars, The Knott Bar under Deansgate Station stops taking cash from May 1st. Not sure that I an happy to still go there!

I can see Aqualung becoming a keen Sam Smiths drinker. Cash sales ONLY! No mobile phones! Beer at £2/pint (oop north at least).
    No swearing of course, but as long as you do not ask for a top up! Humphrey rules OK!
    Something got my blood boiling today in the Wanstead George. It was an idiot watching football on his mobile phone. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BARRED. The two remaining screens in the bar area were showing subtitled BBC News. The beer prices hare and the nearby Walnut Tree have been considerably reduced to £2.09 over the last year and the Premium guest pricing scrapped. Things are looking up, all they need to do now is get rid of the pointless London Pride which I witnessed someone buying this week for the first time ever and being fleeced for £2.79.

"cash transactions fell to less than 10 per cent of customer spend"
    https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/...ding-1-9741135
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

The Hiding Place is also cashless after visiting yesterday.