Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Static Map

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    The individual pub entries are great now (I was getting distracted scrolling down the page and suddenly discovering I was zooming through the map!) but I am still getting the area map failure message that Moby posted about last week. Attachment 1703
    Yes still the same here.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    The individual pub entries are great now (I was getting distracted scrolling down the page and suddenly discovering I was zooming through the map!) but I am still getting the area map failure message that Moby posted about last week. Attachment 1703
    It's not just PG - I've had than with embedded Google maps on other sites. Something Google has changed I expect.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 22-10-2018 at 09:25.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    It's not just PG - I've had than with embedded Google maps on other sites. Something Google has changed I expect.
    Same for me, it happened on one of the budget hotel sites. I've never really used the area maps but it does look untidy.

Sorry about the country, county and area pages. They do look bad and they are on the todo list. I figured pub pages were a priority then I just haven't got around to replacing Google elsewhere.

Basically anywhere you see that message it probably means that they haven't given Google their credit card details for map usage - when they realise how much it might cost they probably wont either.

An interesting example is WhatPub, whoever is handling things there has done a great job and set up a quota to avoid getting a surprise crazy bill (something Google make quite hard to do). They have already gone over their quota for the month though and now have the same message.

As I said before, expect a lot of sites to switch to Open Street Maps in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Sorry about the country, county and area pages. They do look bad and they are on the todo list. I figured pub pages were a priority then I just haven't got around to replacing Google elsewhere.

Basically anywhere you see that message it probably means that they haven't given Google their credit card details for map usage - when they realise how much it might cost they probably wont either.

An interesting example is WhatPub, whoever is handling things there has done a great job and set up a quota to avoid getting a surprise crazy bill (something Google make quite hard to do). They have already gone over their quota for the month though and now have the same message.

As I said before, expect a lot of sites to switch to Open Street Maps in the near future.
    Are Google trying to raise cash so they can pay an appropriate amount of tax???

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Are Google trying to raise cash so they can pay an appropriate amount of tax???
    Remind me, which planet would that be where Google etc pays tax?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'd like to register my approval of the new static maps which are scrollable with just the mouse wheel. It's an excellent improvement to the site.
    Agree: the Static Maps which are now in no way static are an improvement. I especially like the quick zoom - now fixed - and that you can drag them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

'spoons too, so await Timbo or Eddie Gershon holding forth on the subject soon!

Ratebeer has the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Ratebeer has the same issue
    As do the JDW web site. I noticed that Trip Advisor use a site called citymaps? It does look as though Google are shooting themselves in the foot.