Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cask Report 2018-19

Default The Cask Report 2018-19

Most of us are cask or even cask only drinkers so here's this year's report

https://cask-marque.co.uk/wp-content...rt-2018-19.pdf

Interesting read and a lot of sensible comment within it, and some clear warning signs for me...

"Cask Marque monitoring during July 2018 showed that almost 7 in 10 pints of cask were served warmer than the recommended temperature of 11-13°C."
    I think we have all been there recently !

"the downside is that if cask does not start to recruit new drinkers soon it will be heading to the grave along with its predominant fan base."
    Totally agree but best of luck with that !. The double whammo is the large drop in youth drinking driven by this social media generation that don't want to appear pissed on Instagram, and those that are graduating to drinking beer are drinking Craft Keg..

Sadly I think all of us on here qualify as the "predominant fan base" predicted to die out, but at least fortunately for me I have no modern Keg hangup and will be doing the Tottenham Tap rooms of Beavertown, Pressure Drop and Brewheadz next month, so hopefully that may mean I live longer...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Just Missed the Round

I have to confess I didn't read the full report.

I think to a certain extent you can't force people to drink cask ale. If they don't like it, or don't want to try it, you might be able to turn a few round with better promotion or advertising but if nobody is drinking it, people will stop buying it and it will die out. Yes it would be a shame, but basic supply and demand. Then no doubt in another 10 or 20 years after someone will "re-invent" cask ales and they will become popular again. In the same way that some styles of beer disappear and then come back again. We may just have to accept that.

The report also mentions new breweries but still no increase in cask. A lot of breweries don't do cask ale, as the profit margins are lower. If the new breweries that are springing up take that approach then there is not going to be an increase in production and consumption relative to the number of breweries in existence.

Personally I love cask ale and it is my go-to beer. If I am looking at visiting new pubs I tend to filter by those that serve real ale. I may be missing out on a few places that do decent craft stuff, but it weeds out all those grim pubs that are somehow still in business serving only John Smiths Smooth, Fosters and Guinness.

I'm not afraid to try the craft stuff, but with cask you know you can go into a pub, it won't be a ridiculous strength and it won't break the bank. With craft the strengths and prices can vary significantly. Cask offers stability in that respect.

Perhaps what also does not help the image of cask is that many people perhaps see it in two places - food pubs (which tend to be Greene King or Marstons) or in Wetherspoons (where they see a 'certain type' of customer drinking it). Wetherspoons do some great real ales at great prices but the chain does have a certain image. If someone's first impression of cask is a lukewarm pint of Greene King IPA it's not going to create a favourable memory of cask ales in general.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

As a new generation drinker i'm pleased to report the group I drink with is now resolutely cask only but the trends noted about young drinkers are largely correct. my local is an excellent real ale pub but it's still very much 'cask for the adults, Estrella/Coors for the kids'. slightly more positive signs at universities and cities although I suspect craft is growing far more quickly. the trend is creeping away from quantity towards quality - the cask/craft/cider festival at my university (Lancaster) had an attendance in the 1000s this year so the market for the 'good stuff' is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post

Sadly I think all of us on here qualify as the "predominant fan base" predicted to die out, but at least fortunately for me I have no modern Keg , so hopefully that may mean I live longer...
    Ditto
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post

"Cask Marque monitoring during July 2018 showed that almost 7 in 10 pints of cask were served warmer than the recommended temperature of 11-13°C."
    Warm or worse in my experience of the heat wave. In a few Spoons it was just rank rather than warm. I wonder how any beer festivals got on.

This Space For Hire

The problems with cask is warm beer and beer on sale for too long.I can see a steady decline now that keg has sorted out its problems of being too cold and fizzy.If it was the same price as cask then cask would be doomed.I still drink 75/25 cask to keg but this long summer in London showed up the temperature problems with cask.Contrary to Aqualung I find Wetherspoons beers are always cool enough.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Contrary to Aqualung I find Wetherspoons beers are always cool enough.
    You misread what I said there. I had some rank pints (on sale too long) in JDWs during the heat. The worst example of warm beer was a GBG (still) listed Derby micropub. If the cellar immediately beneath the bar was cooled then it wasn't working. One beer was warm and rank and the other was warm.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    ...in London ...

I think we can see the problem here.

BTW Sam Smiths OBB is usually served at about 9C and it's usually vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Sam Smiths OBB is usually served at about 9C and it's usually vinegar.
    In my experience it's too cold, as you say, but I've never had an OBB that was actually off. Uninspired, yes. Tired, occasionally. Brilliant, not really.
    Come On You Hatters!