Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pubs in wrong County

Hybrid View

Default Pubs in wrong County

I added this pub yesterday and it grouped it with Machynlleth. The trouble is that Pennal is on the North side of the Dyfi Estuary which means it's in Gwynedd not Powys. Is this an unavoidable consequence of mixing postcodes and counties?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I added this pub yesterday and it grouped it with Machynlleth. The trouble is that Pennal is on the North side of the Dyfi Estuary which means it's in Gwynedd not Powys. Is this an unavoidable consequence of mixing postcodes and counties?
    Short answer - Yes

Long answer involves geography and the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994 as well as some pedantry about the difference between counties, historic counties, and unitary authorities, so we're not going there.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Short answer - Yes

Long answer involves geography and the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994 as well as some pedantry about the difference between counties, historic counties, and unitary authorities, so we're not going there.
    I suspected so. Of course it's not even Gwynedd but Meirionnydd (I think!). I first came across this with Kinver which is in Staffordshire but very close to the Shropshire and Worcestershire borders. It's got a Stourbridge postcode so appears under the West Midlands!

Several Welsh pubs (some of them 30 miles into Wales) have English addresses (Oswestry, Shropshire).
    A small number of Shropshire pubs have Welsh (Wrexham, Clwyd!!) addresses.
    Things were OK when the Ordnance Survey was in charge of boundaries. Now the Post Office has took over, the address depends on the convenience of the Postal Town to deliver its mail!

This is the reason Pubs Galore has to have the footnotes, eg. "Pubs also in Powys".
    Last edited by AlanH; 26-09-2018 at 13:03.

Many years ago, Conrad almost banned me from moaning about “post town madness”, but this is another fine example!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Many years ago, Conrad almost banned me from moaning about “post town madness”, but this is another fine example!
    I think it was once called a "data clash" but there's probably some other stupid jargon for it now. I'm guessing the only way around it as well as updating any county changes is a complete rebuild of the database which is not a viable option. There's always been a quirk in East London in that a small part of Essex on the Waltham Abbey road North of Chingford is in the E4 postal area.

IIRC they can be physically moved by Snow White.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I mentioned stupid jargon earlier and I have no idea what IIRC means! I doubt that this one is worth any attention.

I mentioned stupid jargon earlier and I have no idea what IIRC means! I doubt that this one is worth any attention.
    If I remember correctly, it stands for "Isn't It Really Cool".

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Pubs or counties can be physically moved? Wow, that is power! Could someone please move SE27 to an area with some good pubs?

I don't know why, but the acronym reminded me of summat on the radio yesterday, someone had written to a paper asking
    "Can you tell me which actor starred as Forest Gump? THanks..." shortly followed by
    "Can you remind me of the name of the sitcom set in a Boston Bar? Cheers..."