Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 27 June 2010)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    George Wright 'Cheeky Pheasant'
    As I didn't manage to get to get to the pub once whilst in Essex (don't ask) The Cheeky Pheasant is my BOTW. Mind you if it was based purely on volume drunk it would go to Morland 'Speckled Hen'. I drank so many bottles, on Fri & Sat, I lost count!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Sounds like you must have been pretty close to Chez Hearty at some stage.
    I'll try and get the reviews on here shortly.Next time I move the boat from Mirfield ,I will have my sons with me and the good wife is none too keen for me to encourage the younger one into the wicked ways of drinking real ale,so there will be little pub action on the trip up to Standedge Tunnel and then through the flesh pots of StalyVegas.

After a week that involved a lot of Courage Best I made a last minute bid to find something a bit different on Sunday evening and got myself a Great Heck beer that I'd been hoping to find some day - so my BotW is Dark And Very Enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    got myself a Great Heck beer that I'd been hoping to find some day - so my BotW is Dark And Very Enjoyable
    Great Heck Brewery have just taken over O'Donoghue's in Wakefield, as their first pub. I'm rather hoping that the very popular 'DAVE' will be a regular beer, Dave!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quite an easy choice as I haven't had many this week, probably drank most decent beers with Bucking Fastard and his crew, one of whom might agree with me about Saltaire Chocoholic

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Quite an easy choice as I haven't had many this week, Saltaire Chocoholic
    Unbelievably, still haven't tried it, but looking forward to the day, having read all the reviews. A small crumb of comfort is the fact that Asda started selling the bottled Cascade Pale Ale recently.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    It had been a quiet week with just a couple of Mordue Workie Tickets on Monday. Then on Thursday I popped into a JDW near work for a quick pint and was faced with Ringwood Fortyniner, Springhead Roaring Meg and York Centurion Ghost. Well what’s a man to do? Have all three of course, although it turned into four as I spotted RCH East Street. On the way home I encountered a couple of Riders from Sheffield looking a little Pale and a Landlord named Timothy. An excellent evening although I didn’t feel too good the next morning.

So unless I find anything remarkable this weekend my BoTW will probably come from one of the above
    I did find a nice Nethergates Essex Beast on Saturday but my BoTW goes to Springhead Roaring Meg
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Real Ale Drinker

For me it was Rebellion Blonde 'enjoyed' in the Back of Beyond JDW in Reading whilst watching England beat Slovenia. Well the beer was enjoyable the match wasn't !

I spent a few days in Latvia this week and was surprised to find that they had quite a lot of good beers in their bars - mostly dark beers - and I was sorely tempted to nominate one of these, but given the lovely weather we've been having, it would feel wrong to go with a dark beer, so my BOTW is Thornbridge Wild Swan (as tried at the Cask, Pimlico); a White Gold Pale Ale and a fine summer session beer if ever I saw one.