Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think that the photograph submission guidelines should be (and why)?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    If anybody asks you about taking photographs in a public place, refer them to Schedule 2 Part 5 paragraph 26(1)(c) of the Data Protection Act 2018, the UK implementation of the Article 85 "artistic expression" exemption in the General Data Protection Regulation. That should shut them up!
    "artistic purposes" are you sure?

That document comes from Malta!
    doesn't really matter, it's an EU law.

Just Missed the Round

Getting away from the legalities of people shots, my thoughts are as follows:

copyright - Obviously a no-no, it has to be your own pic, not one you have lifted from somewhere.
    people - Personally I try not to get face shots in, but if you are taking an overview pic of a crowded pub it's hard to avoid. I've got photos of the backs of people waiting at the bar before now too which I didn't really notice when taking the pic but did when I was looking at a later date. So long as they don't dominate the pic or block the view of anything important, then it's part of the pub scene I guess. For outside shots I try to avoid groups of smokers outside and wait till passers by have passed by. Otherwise they make the place look untidy!
    food and drinks - I'm mixed on this. A close up of an individual drink is probably unnecessary. A table that happens to have drinks on with other pub features in the background is different though. We probably don't need to see food, though if it looks good it can put the pub in a good light and give someone an idea of portion size and so on.
    objects in front of pubs, especially lamp posts, street furniture, vehicles, bins, scaffolding, etc - Always best to try to avoid but sometimes it's hard if there is a crossing right in front of a pub, I guess the best bet is to try and angle it so it doesn't intrude on the main features such as the pub sign, the main window or door, etc.
    closed pubs - Tinned up buildings are not attractive, though some people may take interest in the history of a pub and how it has looked over time. Where do you draw the line though? A pile of rubble after a pub has been demolished? Some people may be interested if it's a pub they used to frequent, but the average person would probably pull a WTF face at the pic.
    decorative items, including light fittings, photographs, carpets,etc - An overview photo of a pub can show its carpet and a wall covered in photos. Not sure we would need close ups of either. However some places have items that are interesting for whatever reason and I have been guilty of submitting a photo of some lighting or a bit of faux distressed ironwork.
    architectural features - A date stone or something could be interesting perhaps. It's possible to get this in a wider shot of the pub though.
    pump clips and pumps - I have only submitted one of these and it didn't get approved, so assume it is a no-no. I thought it looked artistic at the time but I guess it probably has no real value.
    gardens - If there's a beer garden it's nice to see it, I think. Gives a prospective visitor an idea of what the outdoor space is like. But perhaps not if it's not just a grubby yard full of empty barrels and bins!
    view from pub - Unless the view is really special, not sure what value a view from the pub would add. But some people may find this artistic.
    night time pictures - So long as it's not pitch black and you can actually see the pub, pub sign, etc, some night/dusk pics can look good.
    pub signs, including "humourous" A-boards - Humour is subjective, what one person finds hilarious may make the next person cringe. Perhaps of value to the kind of person who wants to avoid pubs with "humorous" A-boards! Proper pub signs though, bring them on!
    Urinals and toilets in general - Not unless of special interest. I submitted photos of urinals that were made of old barrels because I thought they were interesting. Perhaps the same for some huge old marble slab urinals. But nobody wants to see a trough full of piss or a grubby bog cubicle. And obviously the bogs should be empty when you take your pic!
    Similar or even identical photos to those already there - To be honest I don't mind this. I quite like looking through the photos and seeing how a pub has changed, so if there is an outside shot from 2012 that looks similar to the 2014 one, but then 2016 is wildly different it gives you an idea of when a pub was refurbished or changed hands etc. Perhaps only the newer ones should be shown on the front page though.

Just my thoughts and personal guidelines I guess - and I probably don't even stick to them all the time, so please don't go off trawling through my photos to pull me up on any of the points made above!
    Last edited by RealAleRobUK; 18-09-2018 at 17:19. Reason: add a bit about outdoor shots

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    "artistic purposes" are you sure?
    Well, if you don't fancy that, you could try the "journalistic purposes" exemption, but I would save this for reviews (which could also be "literary expression" or "academic expression").

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    doesn't really matter, it's an EU law.
    It does matter, because the detail is remitted back to member states, hence the Data Protection Act 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Getting away from the legalities of people shots, my thoughts are as follows:

copyright - Obviously a no-no, it has to be your own pic, not one you have lifted from somewhere.
    people - Personally I try not to get face shots in, but if you are taking an overview pic of a crowded pub it's hard to avoid. I've got photos of the backs of people waiting at the bar before now too which I didn't really notice when taking the pic but did when I was looking at a later date. So long as they don't dominate the pic or block the view of anything important, then it's part of the pub scene I guess. For outside shots I try to avoid groups of smokers outside and wait till passers by have passed by. Otherwise they make the place look untidy!
    food and drinks - I'm mixed on this. A close up of an individual drink is probably unnecessary. A table that happens to have drinks on with other pub features in the background is different though. We probably don't need to see food, though if it looks good it can put the pub in a good light and give someone an idea of portion size and so on.
    objects in front of pubs, especially lamp posts, street furniture, vehicles, bins, scaffolding, etc - Always best to try to avoid but sometimes it's hard if there is a crossing right in front of a pub, I guess the best bet is to try and angle it so it doesn't intrude on the main features such as the pub sign, the main window or door, etc.
    closed pubs - Tinned up buildings are not attractive, though some people may take interest in the history of a pub and how it has looked over time. Where do you draw the line though? A pile of rubble after a pub has been demolished? Some people may be interested if it's a pub they used to frequent, but the average person would probably pull a WTF face at the pic.
    decorative items, including light fittings, photographs, carpets,etc - An overview photo of a pub can show its carpet and a wall covered in photos. Not sure we would need close ups of either. However some places have items that are interesting for whatever reason and I have been guilty of submitting a photo of some lighting or a bit of faux distressed ironwork.
    architectural features - A date stone or something could be interesting perhaps. It's possible to get this in a wider shot of the pub though.
    pump clips and pumps - I have only submitted one of these and it didn't get approved, so assume it is a no-no. I thought it looked artistic at the time but I guess it probably has no real value.
    gardens - If there's a beer garden it's nice to see it, I think. Gives a prospective visitor an idea of what the outdoor space is like. But perhaps not if it's not just a grubby yard full of empty barrels and bins!
    view from pub - Unless the view is really special, not sure what value a view from the pub would add. But some people may find this artistic.
    night time pictures - So long as it's not pitch black and you can actually see the pub, pub sign, etc, some night/dusk pics can look good.
    pub signs, including "humourous" A-boards - Humour is subjective, what one person finds hilarious may make the next person cringe. Perhaps of value to the kind of person who wants to avoid pubs with "humorous" A-boards! Proper pub signs though, bring them on!
    Urinals and toilets in general - Not unless of special interest. I submitted photos of urinals that were made of old barrels because I thought they were interesting. Perhaps the same for some huge old marble slab urinals. But nobody wants to see a trough full of piss or a grubby bog cubicle. And obviously the bogs should be empty when you take your pic!
    Similar or even identical photos to those already there - To be honest I don't mind this. I quite like looking through the photos and seeing how a pub has changed, so if there is an outside shot from 2012 that looks similar to the 2014 one, but then 2016 is wildly different it gives you an idea of when a pub was refurbished or changed hands etc. Perhaps only the newer ones should be shown on the front page though.

Just my thoughts and personal guidelines I guess - and I probably don't even stick to them all the time, so please don't go off trawling through my photos to pull me up on any of the points made above!
    These are just the sort of suggestions I was hoping to elicit - more thoughts on the actual thread topic most welcome!

It does matter, because the detail is remitted back to member states, hence the Data Protection Act 2018.
    Given the propensity of UK civil servants to goldplate EU directives when drafting legislation I have no doubt the Maltese interpretation will be free and easy compared to the DPA2018.

Some of these chime with my own " thoughts and personal guidelines", but while it would be good if more photographers (perhaps especially those on the less thoughtful end of the spectrum?) were to bear them in mind, I can't see a list like this forming the basis of a prescription for acceptance or otherwise of photos on this site.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Some of these chime with my own " thoughts and personal guidelines", but while it would be good if more photographers (perhaps especially those on the less thoughtful end of the spectrum?) were to bear them in mind, I can't see a list like this forming the basis of a prescription for acceptance or otherwise of photos on this site.
    I guess a lot of it also depends what you are using the site for. If you just like looking at nice photos of pubs, that's all you're going to want to see. If you're hoping to check a pub out on here before you plan a visit then you're going to be interested in the more realistic pictures that show you the outside, interior, maybe the bar area and any beer garden. If you're interested in pub history then you may want to see a whole lot more than the average person, but would be less interested in the arty shots.

I don't think anyone should go out of their way to take a photo that makes a pub look bad, but the photos should be an accurate reflection of what to expect and not necessarily a bit of free marketing for the pub. In the same way that we are encouraged not to be overly negative when leaving a review.

Everyone will have their own take on what adds value to the site and what doesn't. One man's trash being another man's treasure, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I can't see a list like this forming the basis of a prescription for acceptance or otherwise of photos on this site.
    Me neither, those who won't self edit will still submit dross and the Seven Dwarves will use their own judgement about what to approve or refer.

At least people have been given the chance to air their views and judging by the response only a couple of people are very bothered about what photos go on the site.

So business as usual then?

Everyone will have their own take on what adds value to the site and what doesn't. One man's trash being another man's treasure, and all that.
    I disagree; a picture of a van obscuring a pub, a shadowy building or a dirty bus window are always going to be crap in anybody's view unless they are seriously "challenged" in some way.