Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Good Beer Guide Top 16

  1. #31
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union.
    Posts
    2,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    None of these known to me.
    Ditto
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  2. #32
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,376

    Default

    here's the links for those wondering

    Cricketers Arms
    Staggs Bar (The Volunteer Arms)
    Wonston Arms
    The Chequers

    I've been in the Cricketers and didn't think it was that great but I can see how it would tick Camra boxes; I know of Staggs as its use of "return trays" (auto-vacs) brasses off a few English ex-pats in the Edinburgh Camra branch no end. I used to drive past the Wonston Arms occasionally when I worked in Basingstoke but never been in; Chequers Little Gransden? never heard of it not even when I lived in Hertfordshire (it's in Cambridgeshire apparently).

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  3. #33
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,418

    Default

    I'm pretty certain I've never been to any of them!

  4. #34
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    2,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Nul points pour moi.

  5. #35
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ... Chequers Little Gransden? never heard of it not even when I lived in Hertfordshire (it's in Cambridgeshire apparently).
    Well, you'd struggle to hear from it in Herts, being as it is on the borders of Beds, Hunts and Cambs! Excellent little pub, with some very good beers.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #36
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    here's the links for those wondering

    Cricketers Arms
    Staggs Bar (The Volunteer Arms)
    Wonston Arms
    The Chequers

    I've been in the Cricketers and didn't think it was that great but I can see how it would tick Camra boxes; I know of Staggs as its use of "return trays" (auto-vacs) brasses off a few English ex-pats in the Edinburgh Camra branch no end. I used to drive past the Wonston Arms occasionally when I worked in Basingstoke but never been in; Chequers Little Gransden? never heard of it not even when I lived in Hertfordshire (it's in Cambridgeshire apparently).
    The Wonston is now a wonderful pub, saved from closure by the community some three or four years ago, It was apparently a different beast in your Basingstoke days OB.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  7. #37
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Been in The Fleece Inn It's not worthy IMO of the accolade. It's a village pub which I felt was awkward on my visit 23/06/2016 and 30/12/2012.

  8. #38
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,500

    Default

    Its been a fantastic turnaround for this semi finalist. This was just three and a half years ago.
    Wonston arms april 2015.jpg
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  9. #39
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Its been a fantastic turnaround for this semi finalist. This was just three and a half years ago.
    Wonston arms april 2015.jpg
    Wow!
    Come On You Hatters!

  10. #40
    Glass Half Full Brainypool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Its been a fantastic turnaround for this semi finalist. This was just three and a half years ago.
    Wonston arms april 2015.jpg
    Same story with the Cricketers which was a boarded up keg boozer in a run down area five years ago. No pub is a lost cause!

Similar Threads

  1. 2015 good beer guide
    By hondo in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 30-11-2014, 21:20
  2. good beer guide
    By hondo in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 21:13
  3. The Pub Curmudgeon - The Good Guide Guide
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-09-2010, 18:36
  4. Pencil & Spoon - Is the Good Beer Guide still Good?
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-09-2010, 22:30
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20-09-2009, 14:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •