Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Chriiiiiiiiistmas!

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Not quite on message, but I was in here on Friday 27/09/2019 Northern Monkey they had Halloween decorations up.
    Halloween, the event that justifies having decorations up for a weekend at most. Not a month.

The first time I was in The Lower Angel in Warrington it was full of skeletons, cobwebs, broomsticks and the like. It was October at the time, so we were fairly sure it was for Halloween, but we weren't 100% convinced at the time and thought it might have been the general theme of the pub.

Pleased to confirm that on a subsequent visit the spooky extras had all disappeared.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Halloween, the event that justifies having decorations up for a weekend at most. Not a month.

The first time I was in The Lower Angel in Warrington it was full of skeletons, cobwebs, broomsticks and the like. It was October at the time, so we were fairly sure it was for Halloween, but we weren't 100% convinced at the time and thought it might have been the general theme of the pub.

Pleased to confirm that on a subsequent visit the spooky extras had all disappeared.
    Went into a pub about two years ago around 1st October only to spot all the Halloween stuff. I asked the East European barmaid what this was for and she replied 'Halloween'. I told her that this American-imported festival was one evening of the year and not a month-long season and she shrugged. I went back to the pub about two days before the event, only to notice with smug satisfaction that all the pumpkins were completely rotten. And all that single use plastic too...

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I told her that this American-imported festival was one evening of the year and not a month-long season

Most people think it's the "Trick or Treat" bit that's the US import and blame The Simpsons. All Hallows eve (Halloween) is pagan in origin (Samhain), and I did trick or treat in Scotland when I was a child over 50 years ago, we called it "Guising" but with hollowed out turnips or neeps not pumpkins.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Most people think it's the "Trick or Treat" bit that's the US import and blame The Simpsons. All Hallows eve (Halloween) is pagan in origin (Samhain), and I did trick or treat in Scotland when I was a child over 50 years ago, we called it "Guising" but with hollowed out turnips or neeps not pumpkins.
    I also went Guising as a child.It was tough work trying to hollow out a neep compared to a pumpkin

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Not quite on message, but I was in here on Friday 27/09/2019 Northern Monkey they had Halloween decorations up.
    There are threads passim about this sort of stuff. The worst insult is when Paddy's Day and Mother's Day colliide.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I don't even remember Halloween being on the radar as a child. The big event was November the 5th. During October we would buy bangers and jumping jacks which I believe are now outlawed. The badge of honour would be to hold a tuppeny banger in the hand while it went off. I think the wearing of a glove was permissible. If you think that's silly and dangerous then roll on 10 or so years to the Liverpool Vagabond's climbing hut in Nant Peris where at a New Years party they were firing rockets up the staircase!! The Vaynol Arms used to have a photo of a large group of them sitting on the edge of Glyder Fach's Cantilever and failing miserably to tilt it.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I also went Guising as a child.It was tough work trying to hollow out a neep compared to a pumpkin
    Mrs Ale here - I remember this being tough work when I was a kid in Ireland too - pumpkins never made it over there...
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't even remember Halloween being on the radar as a child. The big event was November the 5th. During October we would buy bangers and jumping jacks which I believe are now outlawed. The badge of honour would be to hold a tuppeny banger in the hand while it went off. I think the wearing of a glove was permissible. If you think that's silly and dangerous then roll on 10 or so years to the Liverpool Vagabond's climbing hut in Nant Peris where at a New Years party they were firing rockets up the staircase!! The Vaynol Arms used to have a photo of a large group of them sitting on the edge of Glyder Fach's Cantilever and failing miserably to tilt it.
    Jumping Jaks were called Barking Doggies in my area.Holding bangers with gloves was for sissies.

Holding bangers with gloves was for sissies.
    Damn right, I held one between thumb and forefinger and the bugger spun round and burnt my hand, should have held it properly in the first place - learning by doing, of course its setting light to the open box of matches in my hand was another bit of fun and yet another useful lesson learned.

I could tell many tales of the fun we had with fireworks when I were a lad but it might frighten those of a nervous disposition.

PS actually it's a good thing I discovered beer and pubs otherwise some of the stuff could have got dangerous or something.
    Last edited by oldboots; 02-10-2019 at 21:35.

Jumping Jaks were called Barking Doggies in my area.Holding bangers with gloves was for sissies.
    I was talking about Tuppeny bangers here. Wearing a glove for a penny one would make you a total lightweight.