Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
Exactly. An utterly pointless crying shame; so much single use - and useless - plastic, tipped into landfill or being washed into watercourses.
I recently posted on another site about the true horror of Hallowe'en - a photo of a giant container ship with the caption:

The real horror of Hallowe'en: I'm not worried about ghosties, ghoulies, long-legged beasties or people from Bridgwater. The thing that I find most disturbing is that this huge container ship, and many others like it (we counted at least 4 going into Southampton in 3 days), use huge amounts of fossil fuels to bring tons of plastic Hallowe'en clutter half way around the World, which is then distributed by HGVs through the retail network using yet more fossil fuel, to provide a few moments of hollow amusement to unwittingly mendicant children and their accommodating parents before being dumped into landfill or burned. Is the associated environmental impact, energy bill and opportunity cost (HGV drivers driving container trucks full of plastic tat rather than fuel or food) really justified, or is it just another indication that Western society really is as stupid, shallow and suicidal as it appears?