Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Chriiiiiiiiistmas!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    PS actually it's a good thing I discovered beer and pubs otherwise some of the stuff could have got dangerous or something.
    Ditto here but the firework parties have been resurrected for my friend's grand children. I still really enjoy them but have to hide behind a bush while the big cakes are going off!! They are a lot less than 25 metres away.!!

PS actually it's a good thing I discovered beer and pubs otherwise some of the stuff could have got dangerous or something.
    Living where we do ,quite near East Susssex, there's a strong tradition of village fireworks,bonfires and parades:good business for the pubs. We're too far out to be bothered by trick and treat,and I'd rather eat my pumpkins than stick candles in 'em.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was talking about Tuppeny bangers here. Wearing a glove for a penny one would make you a total lightweight.
    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Jumping Jaks were called Barking Doggies in my area.Holding bangers with gloves was for sissies.
    Try holding a French 'Bison' (or larger) banger in your hand. Glove or not, it'll probably take your arm off.

I remember one November 6th when I was about 10, we rode around on our bikes picking up spent fireworks as you could cut them open with a Stanley knife and occasionally you'd find some unburnt powder pellets inside. After hours of collecting, we emptied the useful remains into my mum's mixing bowl in the garden. I chucked in a piece of lit paper, there was an almighty explosion and the bowl shattered; unbelievably dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

I remember one November 6th when I was about 10, we rode around on our bikes picking up spent fireworks as you could cut them open with a Stanley knife and occasionally you'd find some unburnt powder pellets inside. After hours of collecting, we emptied the useful remains into my mum's mixing bowl in the garden. I chucked in a piece of lit paper, there was an almighty explosion and the bowl shattered; unbelievably dangerous!
    A bloke I knew was able to get maroons from a place in Kent. I think they must have had TNT in them as the explosion from the giant ones was enough for the shock wave to be felt by the rib cage. They could only be let off electrically.

This Space For Hire

Damn right, I held one between thumb and forefinger and the bugger spun round and burnt my hand, should have held it properly in the first place - learning by doing, of course its setting light to the open box of matches in my hand was another bit of fun and yet another useful lesson learned.

I could tell many tales of the fun we had with fireworks when I were a lad but it might frighten those of a nervous disposition.

We used to go to an Army firing range and occasionally we would find unused bullets.One of my mates took some home ,drilled a hole in them with a handheld drill attaches a small fuse and then blew them up.That was dangerous.Another one got on a bus with a live mortar shell that he had found.Had to get the bomb disposal unit out that day.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    We used to go to an Army firing range and occasionally we would find unused bullets.One of my mates took some home ,drilled a hole in them with a handheld drill attaches a small fuse and then blew them up.That was dangerous.Another one got on a bus with a live mortar shell that he had found.Had to get the bomb disposal unit out that day.
    As a lad, we once just built a fire and chucked on some .22 calibre bullets we'd found and then duck!

This Space For Hire

First Christmas tree of the year spotted yesterday at The Albion.

JDW are doing their Xmas menu and beers. Both are pretty grim with Pale Rider and Jaipur easily being the best offerings. Roll on January.

Mannerist in Rochdale were apparently advertising New Years Eve 2020 on Tuesday.

Now that is a bit early

https://www.facebook.com/mannerist/
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas