Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: What counts as a beer garden ?

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Default What counts as a beer garden ?

Just been updating the details for pubs I have visited and noticed some definition confusion between different reviewers. Does a few tables at the front of the pub count as a beer garden? Does a covered patio count as a beer garden? In fact what actually is a beer garden? It may be worth clarifying as everyone seems to have their own criteria - the Old Vic in Preston for example say themselves that they have a beer garden but was listed as a 'No' on here!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Once it was easy, grass, flowers and maybe dog poo, problem solved, now any old smoking area it seems

I doubt we''l get a consensus, similar to what's a pub? But IMO should at least try and have some plants, even if just dying in pots full of dog ends
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

I've been in the Old Vics beer garden a few times. Granted it's not like Worsley Old Hall's or the Exeter Wetherspoons!

Just to save our repeating ourselves...

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...ht=beer+garden
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

External space with tables not solely for smokers to congregate. Idyllic viewpoint is large area of grass with tables but reality is in urban areas outside space with tables.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Just been updating the details for pubs I have visited and noticed some definition confusion between different reviewers. Does a few tables at the front of the pub count as a beer garden? Does a covered patio count as a beer garden? In fact what actually is a beer garden? It may be worth clarifying as everyone seems to have their own criteria - the Old Vic in Preston for example say themselves that they have a beer garden but was listed as a 'No' on here!
    I think that an enclosed perimeter - even a patio - with some attempt at décor such as pot plants is probably a 'garden' but a back smoking den with a table and two rickety chairs doesn't. Certainly, pavement seating is not a beer garden. I don't think that an off-street parking space covered with a tarpaulin counts as a garden either.

This Space For Hire

Ditch "Beer Garden" and replace with "External Seating" job jobbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    It was probably me who said no to a garden and my excuse is that I went there in a deluge of rain and it was getting dark so I failed to see a door to a garden. The important thing is that if it's not a "real" garden but a patio to say "patio" or "decked patio" in the description then whether it says yes or no is not as important. My preference is for no if it's just a patio but I think I may have said yes where it's very large with potted plants and other decorations. Some Wetherspoons have replaced grass with astroturf!
    There is a potential problem with TV Sport as well. I went to a pub in Shropshire once to find the barmaid catching up on Coronation Street and I was happy to join in. At another time it might be showing football! In fact I suspect pitfalls could be concocted for just about all of the options. You can only give it your best shot.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 06-09-2018 at 22:15.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Responses here and in the other thread that show a pretty wide variance of opinion, fair enough and I was really just wondering if there was an official definition since I didn't want to be going around giving bad information on every pub. I generally consider it a beer garden if there is a decent space with some tables and chairs to sit outside with my drink so I'll stick with that I think. It's the word 'garden' that seems to confuse matters!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I use patio and beer garden in my reviews. A beer garden has grass etc, a patio is paved.
    MILD: