Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weird Beer Of Any Week

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    The WC beer is Opaque Reality, which I rather liked as well (BOTW?). With the Wakefield Rhubarb Festival being every February, there are always several rhubarb flavoured beers in the local pubs. I suspect the Fernandes beer you're thinking of is Rhubarb & Custard, which is OK, but the best one I've come across is Yorkshire Heart Rhu-bar.
    I've had homemade rhubarb Champagne and it was fantastic. I think that if something works in a fruit salad, then it might work in a beer but if you'd find it in a vegetable salad, leave it in a bowl imho.

The WC beer is Opaque Reality, which I rather liked as well (BOTW?). With the Wakefield Rhubarb Festival being every February, there are always several rhubarb flavoured beers in the local pubs. I suspect the Fernandes beer you're thinking of is Rhubarb & Custard, which is OK, but the best one I've come across is Yorkshire Heart Rhu-bar.
    Blue Monkey did a Blubarb and Custard earlier in the year which I really liked. I used to make Rhubarb and Strawberry wine which was a fantastic combination.

This Space For Hire

I think rhubarb really works in beer.Mint never.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I think that if something works in a fruit salad, then it might work in a beer but if you'd find it in a vegetable salad, leave it in a bowl imho.
    A pretty decent rule of thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I used to make Rhubarb and Strawberry wine which was a fantastic combination.
    I can see how the tartness of the rhubarb would offset the sweetness of the strawberries.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

A pretty decent rule of thumb.

I can see how the tartness of the rhubarb would offset the sweetness of the strawberries.
    Yet to try a rhubarb enhanced beer-hope I get on better than with plums or cherries! Going slightly off topic, do they still sweeten rhubarb in Yorkshire with Sweet Cicely (Myrrhis odorata)? I found some seed near Gunnerside, and it still grows in the garden.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Yet to try a rhubarb enhanced beer-hope I get on better than with plums or cherries! Going slightly off topic, do they still sweeten rhubarb in Yorkshire with Sweet Cicely (Myrrhis odorata)? I found some seed near Gunnerside, and it still grows in the garden.
    Mmm. If you don't like plums and cherries in beer, I suspect rhubarb's not going to do a lot for you. Regarding Sweet Cicely, I'd never heard of the combination before, to be honest, but quite a few online crumble recipes feature it as an ingredient. So, will investigate further and definitely try it at some stage.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

That's it really, strawberry only wine is pretty horrible. Mango wine was good and is another fruit that has been used in beer. Plum, Blackberry and Elderberry with optional cinnamon and cloves was another good one. There's something in elderberries that considerably boosts the fermentation, although I wouldn't recommend a beer with that lot included!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    That's it really, strawberry only wine is pretty horrible. Mango wine was good and is another fruit that has been used in beer. Plum, Blackberry and Elderberry with optional cinnamon and cloves was another good one. There's something in elderberries that considerably boosts the fermentation, although I wouldn't recommend a beer with that lot included!
    Cinnamon and cloves should be nowhere near a beer, nor should ginger come to that, in my opinion of course. Don't like Titanic Plum Porter, yet happy with Blackberry , Elderberry and Cucumber In beer.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Cinnamon and cloves should be nowhere near a beer, nor should ginger come to that, in my opinion of course. Don't like Titanic Plum Porter, yet happy with Blackberry , Elderberry and Cucumber In beer.
    Cinnamon and Cloves
    Typically used in ghastly sweet Xmas brews. ELB nailed it a few years ago with a stronger spicy one.

Ginger
    I like a good ginger beer! I had a well made Brunswick one earlier this year and Enville Ginger is OK.

Cucumber
    I've yet to try the delights of this but it's so tasteless I can't see how it can work. I'll stick with it in a cheddar sandwich

Plum Porter
    I quite like it but always find that after a pint the plum flavour is overpowering. I prefer their Cheery Dark and a plum one from Hobsons or was it Ludlow?

Years ago in the William IV they started using a tube that you could insert in the line between the cask and the bar which you could stuff full of anything you wished to flavour the beer. The one that worked for me was Hackney Red and Rosemary.

This Space For Hire

Had a bottle of Meantime -Christmas spiced porter last week.Dont like spices in beer and was not surprised to find it totally undrinkable.