Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro Pub

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Default Micro Pub

"...a new model for the pub business, one that is already proving influential across the country..."

I see that the Butchers Arms mentioned extensively in this article in the Independent is 'never open', but a very interesting article nonetheless, particularly if you've ever thought "I could open a pub - easy!".

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I love the Rat Race in Hartlepool. Been a few times now, and it is great for conversation the way the few tables are placed. Good beers from 4 micro breweries usually and a couple of real ciders too. They do take outs for train journeys.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68607/
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 18-02-2011 at 22:14.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I initially overlooked this article, but twigged what it was about when Roger posted a link to the Daily Mail article, in the 'Record Breakers' thread. (Very similar to the Indy's) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-success.html

Potentially, I think it could be a very exciting development. However, being a world weary old cynic, I could see the big breweries opening the pub equivalents of 'Tesco Express' if they became too successful.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I initially overlooked this article, but twigged what it was about when Roger posted a link to the Daily Mail article, in the 'Record Breakers' thread. (Very similar to the Indy's) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-success.html

Potentially, I think it could be a very exciting development. However, being a world weary old cynic, I could see the big breweries opening the pub equivalents of 'Tesco Express' if they became too successful.
    About the best thing I've ever read in the Daily Mail! Having visited the Butchers Arms, I welcome this positive publicity for the trail-blazing micro pub. (I was also at the CAMRA AGM in Eastbourne when Martyn Hillier gave his now-famous speech on this subject.)

There seems to have been a mini explosion of new micro pubs which went on beneath our collective radar during 2012.

Whilst doing a bit of research into the Rat Race Ale House in Hartlepool, which I hope to visit (weather permitting) on Tuesday, I stumbled across this web site that listed six micro pubs not currently on PG, most of which opened in the last six months or so. Our Kent based correspondents look to now be particularly spoiled for choice.

http://micropubassociation.co.uk/#/m...ted/4564894644

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    There seems to have been a mini explosion of new micro pubs which went on beneath our collective radar during 2012.

Our Kent based correspondents look to now be particularly spoiled for choice.

http://micropubassociation.co.uk/#/m...ted/4564894644
    We are!, and I've still never been in one-I don't really get into the far eastern reaches of the county, and if I do, we are working. Thanet is an acquired taste, but I shall do my best this year!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

I quite like this place in the Arndale Manchester, Micro Bar. Decently cheap, good pints due to good throughput, and the choice of food from about 30 different market stalls (goat curry and porter go together well!).

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I was really impressed with The Treacle Tap and thought it was a great model for success for any micropub ,this place being formerly a small shop.They aren't in the Micropub Association but The Treacle Tap could teach Just Beer Micropub(I Just didnt like it at all ) a thing or two about creating a positive atmosphere.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 20-01-2013 at 17:25.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I'll stay on me own

I know of two of these new type of pubs one in Nottingham and one in Derby,i have not been in one yet but i have my doubts about them.

Will they become more like a private members club where only the well imformed about beer are allowed in,and normal drinkers like myself will be frowned upon when going into one of these places because i dont know what type of hops is in a certain drink.

I hope i am wrong,but i do think there are too many beer snobs about these days and this sort of establishment will be ideal for them to tell everbody in the room about this beer or that beer,that would bore me to tears.